Craigslist. What are your Thoughts?

5 Replies

So of course I am the typical newbie with little money and a full time job. I have read a few posts and seen a few videos mentioning Craigslist as a way to find deals and market. I want to know everyone's take on this site and your oppinions.

Is it worth the time or should I focus on another type of low price marketing?

I understand that with a larger budget I will get a lot more done but unfortunately for me that is not the case. I am working on putting together a stonrger budget but that takes time and I would hate to sit around and do nothing. Even if all I get out of this is practice and 100 "No's" thats a start for me.

Thanks guys! Happy Investing.

Yasmine Bisumber, Real Estate Agent in FL (#3340998)
(954) 744-0013

I totally recommend craigslist. I use that more than I do the MLS. In my area, and most in general, the MLS is saturated with over priced values. I also like CL because I can work in direct contact with the sellers and negotiate more ideal terms for me. I can't do that type of 1 on 1 negotiation through a realtor. Now if I were focused on foreclosures that would be a different story.

Keep in mind, CL does have a lot of crap on there as well. 

There are a ton of other newbie investors posting on Craigslist, but it is still worth doing it!

The price is right, and if you are creative** you can generate calls from Craigslist.

**Hint: Don't post the same exact words like everyone else is doing.  Be unique so people will click on your ad. 

@Yasmine Bisumber I love your approach to the budget you have. Understand you don't have to have $500 a month to grow your business. Just as little as $150 a month is all you need to market your business online. 

CL is a powerful platform is used right, so think about who you want to market to and go after them today. Keep the budget low, and the marketing consistent. 

@Yasmine Bisumber , Craigslist works. Like anything there are best practices. Personally I've found that responding to ads in the for sale by owner section to work well for my business. Some people post ads, which works too. The challenge is staying visible. As you can imagine because it's free to post on Craigslist lots of people use it. Some ethically, some unethically. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.