Help! neighbors are parking on the street, covering sweet rehab

8 Replies

Just finished a flip and we thought it was proceed right but no showings.  We go to visit it and the cul-de-sac looks like a used car lot.  My guess is that people go to see it but don't even go inside.   Any thoughts on remedying the problem? 

I'm skeptical, frankly.  Virtually anyone who goes to the trouble of making an appointment with an agent and driving out to a house is going to actually go inside.

The only thing I can think of is to watch for cars that are obviously being stored on the street. Many municipalities have ordinances which limit the number of hours a car can park in the same spot. The police will ticket violators.

If they are parked legally, I don't think there's much you can do.

Has the area been like that up to this point? (At purchase...during rehab, etc.) If this is normal for the area then I'm thinking that fact should have played a part in deciding to buy this property. In general I don't know that people care to buy a house with a "used car lot" out front. Could be a tough sell for you.

call the cops, tow company etc

@Richard - as a licensed agent I can tell you buyers do this all the time in the Atlanta market. 

All others, thanks for the response. Was hoping for a secret weapon

Maybe a bribe. 

Put a flyer on their car or knock on the neighbors door. Tell them the owner of the property really needs to sell the house as soon as possible and they need the street parking for the upcoming showings and open houses. The owner is offering a $100 gift card to walmart if you keep your vehicle parked in your own driveway this month and if they get a contract on the property.

It doesn't seem much different from when I have a rental vacancy. I tell the prospect the street and block number and tell them to visit if they haven't contacted me from my "for rent" sign out front. If they don't care for the area, they won't call back for a showing. So you have this similar thing happening it appears - buyers don't care for the area for whatever reason. As somebody else mentioned, that would have been a known factor before you bought, or at least it could have been discovered before buying. So now you have to figure out exactly what is wrong with the location, by contacting the agents who had scheduled the showings that were skipped. 

When @Steve Babiak talks, people should listen. (Am I dating myself with an EF Hutton reference?)

As an agent myself, sometimes we just don't get to all the showings during our allotted timeframe. Sometimes we run out of time, especially at lunchtime showings. And sometimes we pull up to a house and discover the neighborhood isn't what we are looking for. 

You should absolutely call the agents and ask why they didn't go inside. If it is indeed because of the used car lot, talk to the neighbors and ask if they can move the cars. They may say no but it never hurts to ask.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here