Anyone here marketing directly to lawyers

8 Replies

My partner and i are thinking about marketing to estate lawyers, probate lawyers, hospice centers, divorce lawyers and few other professionals. 

Has anyone tried this form of marketing? How did it work out for you? 

Yes. I was keynote speaker yesterday at a legal event in San Deigo area. I've been marketing to probate legal community for decades. 

Of course, I did not begin until I had quite a few years experience already under my belt. Suggest you refer to Malcolm Gladwell's 10,000 hour rule. 

Professional only want to be around other professionals (peers). 

Attorneys prefer their estate clients list their properties with licensed brokers with legal experience. They want maximum market exposure to protect their PR client and themselves from claims of selling below market. I've been sued over this and better understand the logic.

Work on your craft for 5-6 years and attend a couple dozen legal meetings first before putting yourself out there as an expert.

The problem I found is that most Estate lawyers already have a list of realtors to refer their clients to.  Also, a lawyer is usually reluctant to recommend a discount purchase which may be considered not being the best advice to their clients.  if the house needs rehab the lawyers I spoke to said they would let a realtor work with their client to get the best, albeit, disclunt price.

good advice, thanks. How about the nursing homes and hospice care. It grim I know, but under the idea of real estate investors helping our clients, this option affords some of these patients the opportunity to help with their medical expenses. Just an idea I've been having. Another one is, also gloom but warented to an extent is marketing to funeral directors. More along the line of having a marketing piece along with their own piece which explains the cost of funeral and how we can purchase the house to help in those expenses .

We don't routinely do it but I know several investors who have.  Seems like they had limited success, but my theory is "why not?".  If you can touch any group of influencers in a cost effective way, it could benefit your business.

One associate told me he was most successful when he called them on the phone, and he would invite the atty to lunch or whatever.  He said that personal touch worked well.  I wouldn't expect atty's to refer their clients to you after simply sending them a letter or postcard.

Originally posted by @Robert Davidson:

The problem I found is that most Estate lawyers already have a list of realtors to refer their clients to.  Also, a lawyer is usually reluctant to recommend a discount purchase which may be considered not being the best advice to their clients.  if the house needs rehab the lawyers I spoke to said they would let a realtor work with their client to get the best, albeit, disclunt price.

I think this is VERY ACCURATE from comments I've heard from our associates.

makes sense. I figured I'd send a mailer and a follow up call to find out if it was received and then extend an invite to a meet and greet. 

Alfonso, I am an investor in Atlanta, GA and my partner and I were looking into reaching out to funeral home directors. I was wondering what kind of success you had, and if so what methods you used to do so?

@Rick H.
A bit off topic but that 10k rule is not Malcom Gladwells. It was some other reach he was citing. And in fact Gladwell was debunking the 10k hour rule by saying that it was not really the 10k hours but the subjects ability to stick with it for those 10k hours and the alignment of personal strengths. Ie I can go out and shoot basketball for 10k hours but since I'm not that great I would most likely give up and not get close to that 10k threshold.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you