Bandit "Post-It"s

18 Replies

Quick question. I've not seen this particular idea anywhere on BP so thought I'd see what you guys think of it. I've got a couple hundred custom post-it notes that basically mimic the "I Buy Houses" slogans on your typical bandit signs along with my phone and website. My plan is to stick these to car windows in parking lots at area grocery stores, etc. Anyone see any down side to this? It was only about $25 for 200 of them so I'm not out a lot of money if nothing comes of it.

Very cool idea Jim! Let me know if it works. My only concern would be someone thinking you're messing with their car. 

I feel like this is too broad and takes up too much of your time. Say you post 200 of them, how many of those people are home owners, with equity, with a house in an area you want, etc. At least with DM you can sort through to the sellers you know you would want.

@Jim Viens in the parking lots of almost any commercial development you must have written permission to legally leave any kind of flier on cars parked there.

As for the post-its.  We do it in our farm neighborhoods, but as Dev mentioned, we leave them on the doors, not on the cars.  It's simply a twist on the notion of a door hanger, but it gets more exposure, because people aren't accustomed to seeing them.  We use the 3 x 5 size and do it in neon colors, instead of just the old fashioned yellow sticky note.

I wouldn't do it on cars. The leads are random, it's like doing every door direct mail. You would want to be more targeted.

With that being said, it can't hurt to try and it's only $25.

@Dev Horn @Hattie Dizmond I like the idea of the sticky notes! I'm new and have been spending a lot of time looking at direct marketing as my main marketing expense. However, I am hoping to find an effective/cheaper marketing avenue. I want to stand out without having to put extra cost into marketing. What kind of responses have you received from the sticky notes? Were the response rates better than door hangers? Do you have to get a solicitors permit to go door to door with the post-its or door hangers in your farm area. Would it be worth hiring a teenager or some one wanting some spending money to leave the notes on each door? Thanks for your input!

That could be a cool idea,@Jim Viens ! The question is how do people feel about coming outside and finding that some somebody has put stickers on their car?
There are a bunch of companies out there who will print 1000 business cards for around $40. Then place the business cards on cars and around different places in neighborhoods where there's a high percentage of high equity homes with long ownership or where are lots of pre-foreclosures or absentee owners. That way, you're more likely to find somebody who needs a deal. I've just started doing the same thing myself. So, I'm still waiting to see if I'm actually going to get any deals from doing that. But since my budget is very low, I don't have a lot of money to operate with, so I'm just doing what I can in addition to driving for dollars and searching online forums for sellers. I would love to know how people respond to having the stickers on their cars, though. Let us know how it goes if you do it. It just seems a little bit expensive when you can get 1000 business cards for $40, though. If I were going to use dickies, I probably wouldn't put them on peoples cars. I would probably stick them on the inside of bathroom stalls and places like that. You know when somebody sitting there on the toilet and then look up they've got no place to go. So they're going to see it. The thing is to post them in places where people aren't going to be pissed off when they see it. Well, that's my two cents.

Good luck!

I never actually did the car thing. I have stuck them up on shelves in Wal-Mart and on gas pumps and various other places. I've only done a few here and there so far so I'm not sure how many leads they've actually produced.  @David Cowan I also put some on the bathroom wall at Wal-Mart a couple of times. :) I've also used my business cards a few times.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you