Is there a thing as a fraudulent investor?

36 Replies

Okay. So I don't by any means  intend to sound like a complete moron. But here I am, desperate to get into Real Estate investing, however without the credit or the funds, I really needed a cash investor/investing partner.

I received an email from a Bianca, who says she is Venezuelan and while she is fortunate to come from family money, she has a voice box in her throat and truly can only communicate via email and text. 

After reviewing my RE Business Plans and numbers, she offered to invest $900,000 to start... More if I need it.

Naturally I was taken back by this a bit... I asked certain questions and she politely stated she is not a scammer, and if I didn't want to do business that was perfectly fine. She sent a photo of her pass port. She said a contract would be in place (10 years with 15% of any profits, ROI). She never asked for my social security number or anything like that... And I find myself going..

What kind of scammer would SEND you money? Rather than ask to RECEIVE money?

Anyway, I told her that to be taken seriously I would need proof of funds. I stated that I have a separate account that I don't use for anything, but it's a local bank (Rockland Trust) so I wasn't sure if that would work. I also stated that for HER protection (and my own) a contract should probably be executed before the exchange of funds. Her response was this (she attached a photo of her passport in the email):

Hello Stephanie ,
Am glad as we are proceeding.I will be coming over to have a formal discussion with the company of my Investment Executive in about 4 week’s time and we will be staying until the whole project is completely in operation. Prior to our arrival, you would assist in preparation of our arrival and possibly help to get done one or two things prior to my arrival.All you need is to initiate the process that will enable me to transfer the funds that will be required as soon as we have finalized and agreed to the terms of business. Once we have agreed and satisfy to the terms, the required funds shall be made available within five days. I’m a woman of my words and I believe in action and practical. I love to work with serious minded people and I always appreciate and reward good work and ideas.Please take note of the below information which will be done prior to our arrival.You need to set up a checking and Savings account Chase Bank or Wells fargo Bank or any bank around you..Account and other information used in opening the account will be requested from you to initiate the process of making the funds available.
2. I will initiate funding of the new account with some cash required to prepare and make some arrangement for our arrival.
As soon as we have arrived, discuss and agree to terms, we sign required paperwork. I will initiate transfer of the required principal into the new account.Reply with the below required information:
1. Business name/ Project Name:
2. Name of Facilitator ( Your full name as it will be used in opening of the new bank account that will accommodate the funds required to start and complete the project ):
3. Contact Address:
4. Contact Mobile Phone Number:
5. Contact email address:
6. Valid means of Government Identification.
For purpose of identification, I include my passport as attachment in this email.
NOTE: I check my email almost on hourly basis as this is the only way I communicate until I can have my voice back. I will always appreciate your communication promptly via email. I hope you do receive text message on your phone as well?

I will send you details required of new account set up. I wait to hear from you.

Best Regards,

Bianca Aigster.

^^^^
Anyone else think this is odd? Red Flags? I'm only 25 and super new to this. As weary as I am, I can't help but question... What kind of scammer sends money? But using Wells Fargo or Chase.. Is it possible for someone to get my ssn, etc. ??

HELP! Thanks!

Maybe I answered my own Q..

I responded saying I was traveling the next few days, my Marine brother has returned from California (I'm in MA) and Im spending time with him and his new wife..

She replies:

Hello Stephanie ,
Yes that right. and make sure you send the copy of your driver license or any mean of identification and home address.
Regards,
Bianca Aigster

^^^^.... no! Is that really necessary? What is something an actual investor would require? I can't imagine it's my license, personal home address, etc.

If it sounds too good to be true... It is. Stephanie I'd be excited if a family member offered to help with $10k... But there is definitely to many red flags for me in the story you've shared. Don't be so excited to get started that you find yourself in a big mess.

Hello Bianca,

I really would not know how to answer this other than just reading this makes me hold up a Red flag or a lot of Caution. Also having you set up an account, have your name , address etc. is questionable.

What about the Voice Box? was this to say is the only reason she is emailing you? How did she find out about your needs?

I will love to follow this Post.

Be careful..,

Forest

Thats exactly what I figured! Figured I'd share not only because I'm weary... But as an fyi to others. What a shame. 😑

Originally posted by @Forest Williams:

Hello Stephanie,

I really would not know how to answer this other than just reading this makes me hold up a Red flag or a lot of Caution. Also having you set up an account, have your name , address etc. is questionable.

What about the Voice Box? was this to say is the only reason she is emailing you? How did she find out about your needs?

I will love to follow this Post.

Be careful..,

Forest

There is no way this is real, no lender would lend almost $1MM to someone who has no investing experience. I'm not familiar with this type of scams but I would assume once they have you hooked, they will start requesting personal information or funds from you.

May I ask how you found/met this "Bianca"?

Sorry for calling you Bianca..:-)

If you feel weary, perhaps it is best to put any real estate investing ambitions on hold, go get a job, raise some capital, and build your credit and restart your investing ambitions once you are better prepared.

@Stephanie Beard

Yes, this sounds odd. I wouldn't be able to call it a scam without being involved first hand, however, I don't know if any intelligent invest that would be giving close to a million dollars without vetting properly. Also, an investor that has no means of communication (except email), should have a confidant that can speak. 

Being that she may not need your information to scam you, you could be setting up a Wells Fargo/Chase account to help them launder money. The money would essentially just be routed through this account. It's just a HYPOTHETICAL scenario as to why a scammer may need your services. The motivation isn't always to get money from you, but simply for you to take the fall. 

To be honest, my gut would tell me not to do it. You should ask to have a Skype session with a translator or confidant. Certainly, she should have a partner or attorney that you can speak with... if it's all true.

I would sure think that is someone has that much money to invest they would be able write a better email than that. I too believe there are too many red flags. While I don't know how to scam someone, I would think that with all the information she is asking for, she may be able to get a hold of your others accounts. I wouldn't risk it.

How much time do you have? Are you willing to take a long shot? You can validate her story and it will take you a lot of time. 

Personally it's not worth my time. There is a 99.5% chance it's a fraud/scam of some sort. 

Id theft comes to mind as the most likely approach.

It could also be a money laundering scheme as well. 

If you choose to follow it out let us know what you find.

Try googling the name or the money amount or the basic concept. I'm quite sure you will find someone else that has run into this. Also call the local police and they might have the angle they are taking to get you.

Originally posted by @Stephanie Beard :

I received an email from a Bianca, who says she is Venezuelan and while she is fortunate to come from family money, she has a voice box in her throat and truly can only communicate via email and text. 

ok everyone should know this is a scam by the end of the 2nd paragraph.

Unknown benefactor....check

Family money........check

untraceable communication only.......check

This is TEXTBOOK 409 scam language. 

Why would an investor with 900k offer it to anyone without a track record? Don't waste any more time on this.

@Stephanie Beard

this is a total SCAM  ,  its the same as the Nigerian ( I need help with getting 10 million out of the country.)

No one invest like this.. they will identity theft you is what will happen.. or they will then come back with you have to buy this security bond from a company in Thailand for 5k then the money will come. etc etc.

I had an acquaintance place an add in craigs list in middle east ,  and Asia looking for money partners.. and she got bombarded with these exact same type of replys.. they can be some what convincing but they will at the end of the day try to get small dollars out of you.

Again there is absolutely ZERO chance anyone is going to invest a large sum of money with someone they met on the internet and further as you claim have no real experience or funding already behind you..  they prey on wishful thinkers..

Same with good ole American lending fraudsters that will promise you funding or loans you just need to send them due diligence money up front... there are companies that survive on due diligence fee's and either never fund anything or fund very few things.

And some of these guys actually go for some big dollars  25 to 100k  and then walk off with it.

Why would an investor with 900k offer it to anyone without a track record? Don't waste any more time on this.

Guess I don't need to say it's a scam. 

No funds are required up front to wire money into an escrow, any charge can be taken out of those funds.

She doesn't have to steal your ID, you're going to send it to her!

That name and passport.......probably from the last victim. 

Don't wait for them at the airport either, if you do, take a sleeping bag.

They think the voice box disguises the real voice, could be a 55 year old guy, little do they know those can be reversed to disclose the real voice, but it does add to the investigation trying to find them.

Why ask for POF, they'll just give you a fake account at El'Banco with a $20,000,000 balance.

Now, I have to E-Mail my new Russian girlfriend, she's a 26 year old model and needs only ten thousand to get out of her modeling contract and get a ticket to come marry me! Later, :)

Didn't read all of this. Get them immediately on a video Skype call where you can see and talk to them.

That usually gets rid of them 99% of the time and you have your answer......... : )

I just want to clarify that I'm used to being on the investing name, but I don't not have a track record. I have a decade of experience in property management, creating financial report in the million for the investors who owned the property. I just want a chance to be on the other end! I do have a job, but I'm sorry. In Massachusetts the cost of living is atrocious and I have 3 kids, my husband doesn't make the best of money because he works with his hands. We can barely see it as it is! There's no way I would be able to save up enough capital on my own. And unfortunately any family in friends we know are in much worse situations than we are and can not provide us with any start up funds. I figured this was a scam, but when I googled her name and different information nothing came up. I entertain the idea for a little bit and have had some extensive conversations with this person, and as much as they are trying to say they are not a scammer and it's a legitimate investment, I'm not comfortable with the situation and will not be doing business with this person. I can't remember if she emailed me from Craigslist or if it was through Lincoln, or this site. I have to go back and check. It was sent from her own gmail account

ugh speak text. I DO have experience and a job. We can barely save as it is not see.. Ugh

...*linkedin not Lincoln 😑

This sounds like another version of the Nigerian prince or the barrister from South Africa whose client is dying and wants to give you $1 Million.

Somewhere along the line, you'll be asked to wire a thousand dollars or so to cover the "administrative fee" and you'll never hear from them again.

total scam, I work on the IT Field, and I get this emails all the time from everywhere in the world, have a cisco spam protection, so I can see them without them ever hitting my main inbox, so yes this a complete scam, be careful whenever you do transactions online too

Originally posted by @Stephanie Beard :

ugh speak text. I DO have experience and a job. We can barely save as it is not see.. Ugh

I am so sorry this happened to you.. they get you sooo excited!!! Happened to me too.. only for 50,000. I started asking him questions and he never gave a straight foreward answer.. then he called me and had a huuge accent and was trying to fake it... spoke very broken lol. Hi. This. Is. Haroolld. Couldnt even speak a sentence... why fake an accent????Speak whatever you speak?!  I asked him to send me the contract so my lawyer could look it over with me, he never replied. Waste of time :( sucks these people have nothing better to do. Best of luck to you!!! 

This post has been removed.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.