Tax Delinquent List from County Preventing Creating Mailing List

2 Replies

I approached a few County Treasurers and keep getting the same request to sign an agreement stating that I will not use any list prepared by that county as a mailing list of any kind. I obviously can't sign such an agreement but am wondering about the legality of this specific request and if it does not violate the FOIA. 

My purpose is obviously to reach out to these homeowners in order to buy their properties (thereby paying the taxes). Is that not in the county's best interest?? 

I know some of you would just say "move on to another county" but I'm trying to understand the process, and I don't want to give up so easily where others would, making such list more valuable. 

I've never pulled data from the county directly, I tried it once and they took a couple hours to get back to me then told me their IT staff could do it for $150. Which was a BS answer since it doesn't take an IT kid 2 hours to query the database and apply a filter...but how would a government manager know that? Those IT guys must have a cush job BSing their moron boss. 

Instead I get my data from my friendly Title Co. I tell them what I want, in what zip codes, and within a day they provide it free of charge. (If you are using them to do this make sure you send them business by referring others and by closing there when able)

Your welcome. 

Originally posted by @Bud Leiser :

Instead I get my data from my friendly Title Co. I tell them what I want, in what zip codes, and within a day they provide it free of charge. (If you are using them to do this make sure you send them business by referring others and by closing there when able)

Hey Bud. Is this a service most title companies provide?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you