Mailer Help: What To Do If You Get a Letter Returned?

5 Replies

Hey all,

I'm sending out mailers to owners and I'm trying to remember what you can write on the envelope where if the address isn't valid or the owner isn't at that address or even if it's a PO Box.  I believe it is "forward address request" or something along those lines.

Can anyone share any insights on this?

I believe there's something else. Because I'm more concerned with making sure it goes to the proper address of the owner (this assumes that the owner address and property address are different, which is sometimes the case). 

Anything else? 

Neema,

I am not sure if you are sending out single letters or a bunch at a time.

You can have your mail service do a "mail update". This checks before you 

mail the letter to verify that the person who you want to reach is still at that 

address. I believe that the Post Office will forward for free any first class

envelope to the new address for one year. After that you are on your own.

Hope this helps.

Tom

@Neema Fotoohi Tom is correct, as long as your mail is first class, the Post Office will automatically forward the mail (if there is a forwarding address on file). However you will almost always get returned mail regardless due to bad addresses, no forwarding address or the Post Office just being lazy. 

@Cody Alexander is correct. You also want to address the envelope carefully. If you want to ensure the envelope is forwarded to the person you are trying to reach then you will need to address it to them specifically at X address. If they are not located at that address and have a forwarding service in place it will forward to them.

On the other hand  if you want the envelope to remain at the address on the envelope then you will want to add a second addressee line:

Mr/Mrs

Or current occupant

XYZ Street, Burmuda 00000

If you are using a mail service check with them for the best way to ensure your mail is delivered. If you are doing the mailing yourself then head down to the post office during an non busy hour and bend someones ear about using the best method to get you mail to your desired destination.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you