Sent out 525 Yellow Letters, with only one call back. Need help and advice!

5 Replies

Hey BP Community!

I am a brand new wholesaler from Phoenix, AZ. I sent out my first round of 525 Yellow letters to Absentee Owners a month ago and only got one call back. I have attached a picture of one of the letters I sent, but I ended up using black ink instead of red. I used the same font (my handwriting turned into a font) on the regular letter "#10" envelope as well. I used a standard priority mail American flag stamp. 

I thought they looked really good for my first round and doing them myself to save about $200, but there must be something I can do to get a better call back rate on the next round, which I plan to send out Monday. Thinking about sacking up and paying a little more to go thru YellowLetters.com?

Any advice is extremely appreciated!

Thank you!!!

Billy Bell

Tags: Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tempe, Arizona, Wholesale, Marketing,Direct Mail, Flip.

@Billy Bell

I think the first thing you have to realize is that your not the only one doing this.. its huge business to sell yellow letters... 95% of the people that do this do it for 6 months never get a deal and quit...

I would suspect your absentee owners in your areas get a lot of letters.. so its a numbers game and you have to stay at it for years..

There is a realtor in Phoenix named Kelly R. Judy.  I will never forget his name even though we have never met.  He understood that customers need to see something multiple times before they will buy.  Most people will become comfortable when a name is presented more than once.  I don't have any advice about content but I think it may take more mailings to the same people before you get more calls.  Kelly R. Judy had something at my house every month.  If I didn't already have relationships with realtors I would call him. It has been 10 years since I lived in the house he marketed to... 

I have heard that before and think I will send post cards this time to the ones I have already touched because they are a little cheaper. Thank you for the tip!

@Ella Ludwig

Kelly judy did not come up with this great thought.. its well known in the advertising industry that people need to see the same thing about 7 to 10 times before they react.

but obviously one out of 550 responded to the OP letter.. he needs to do 500 a month for 5 years then see were he is at.

I grew up In this industry.. my dad created yellow letters before anyone knew what they were IE mid 60's  we had a printing press in our garage and guess what I did as  6 th grader I printed 5000 door hangers a week after school then on Sat and Sunday My mom took me and 4 or 5 friends and we walked the neighborhood's my dad worked and hung them on the doors.. My dad created a sales empire doing this.. top producer by1969...

So nothng new or earth shattering here just plan jane marketing.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you