Need help with marketing!

7 Replies

Hi Everyone! I'm looking to get started in 30 days (meaning getting and completing a deal). My confidence is strong, but my lacking in experience is holding me back. I know I can do this, but am not sure how to take a giant leap forward and get completely immersed. I'm in the Tampa FL area. What's the best steps I should take to get started with subject-to investing? Does direct mail really work? Also, how do I find sellers and buyers ... and structure a deal? Yup, I'm truly a beginner!!!

It's kind of hard to answer your questions because they are so broad. I think you should use the search box and read up on what you want to know. That way you will have a better understanding. There's plenty of posts on the forum about subject to, direct mail and finding buyers and sellers. Then if you have specific questions, post them.

Hi @Roberta James

The first step should be figure out your real estate goals. Do you want to be a wholesaler, flipper, landlord? Do you want you want to build a passive income stream or equity? Basically, what exactly would you like to have achieved in 1, 2 and 3 years?

Once you do that (and make sure you write them down on paper) then the next step is to work backwards from those goals and figure out what budget, property types, locations and purchase/resale/rental strategies will enable you to achieve them. 

Then you need to figure out how to target potential sellers that match this criteria and structure your marketing plan around that. Direct mail does work, but only when it is supported by well defined goals and target lists.  

Attending local REIA meetings would be a great place to ask experienced investors about how to find buyers, sellers and structure deals. Keep listening to podcasts, reading forums and reading recommended real estate books.

Good luck!

I like what Colin said. Another thing that you might want to consider is what type of real estate that you want to get into, residential, commercial or land. Maybe you might also want to do a combination of the three. Residential and vacant land are the easiest to get into, but for really big deals you need to eventually look at commercial. However there is a lot more to learn when it comes to commercial. Any ways, I hope that helps. Best of luck. David Dewey

This post has been removed.

Originally posted by @Shanequa J. :

It's kind of hard to answer your questions because they are so broad. I think you should use the search box and read up on what you want to know. That way you will have a better understanding. There's plenty of posts on the forum about subject to, direct mail and finding buyers and sellers. Then if you have specific questions, post them.

I will definitely read up on the different topics like you suggested. Thanks for sharing : - )

Originally posted by @Colin Murphy:

Hi @Roberta James

The first step should be figure out your real estate goals. Do you want to be a wholesaler, flipper, landlord? Do you want you want to build a passive income stream or equity? Basically, what exactly would you like to have achieved in 1, 2 and 3 years?

Once you do that (and make sure you write them down on paper) then the next step is to work backwards from those goals and figure out what budget, property types, locations and purchase/resale/rental strategies will enable you to achieve them. 

Then you need to figure out how to target potential sellers that match this criteria and structure your marketing plan around that. Direct mail does work, but only when it is supported by well defined goals and target lists.  

Attending local REIA meetings would be a great place to ask experienced investors about how to find buyers, sellers and structure deals. Keep listening to podcasts, reading forums and reading recommended real estate books.

Good luck!

Colin - a lot to consider! Thank you for the best practices you have suggested! I'm so eager to get started that I should really focus on the basics first...setting my goals! It's so overwhelming because there are so many ways to make money in this realm of investing. I would like to start out renting SFHs then eventually wholesaling houses. You have given me great insight with a new focus on how to create my marketing strategy. Looks like I'm back to the drawing board...success is on the horizon!!! Thanks again!!!

Originally posted by @David Dewey :
I like what Colin said. Another thing that you might want to consider is what type of real estate that you want to get into, residential, commercial or land. Maybe you might also want to do a combination of the three. Residential and vacant land are the easiest to get into, but for really big deals you need to eventually look at commercial. However there is a lot more to learn when it comes to commercial. Any ways, I hope that helps. Best of luck.

David Dewey

Hi David- right now the focus is on SFH as my initial first step. I never heard of "vacant land" so that might be something for me to research and learn more about. I appreciate your ideas!!! Thank you!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.