The right place to start

6 Replies

I am a full time maintenance technician for an apartment complex. But like anyone I want to be my own boss. I have all the skills and attributes to make a home beautiful. Basically I've narrowed it down to flipping or buying and holding for a rental property. But I'm leaning towards flipping. I've heard it can be risky. some tips on building a buyers list? And tips on getting the right loans, and fully verifying the home doesn't need more than I have analyzed it to need? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much biggerpockets community!! 

@Tyler Nelson - Its really a win-win if you are open to both strategies. Buy, rehab, try to sell. If selling does not work - go ahead and rent it out......

that's smart Justin I like that. Thanks! Should I look for a forclosed home my first buy or should I lean towards a home that was not forclosed on? 

Hey @Tyler Nelson welcome to BP...sweet name by the way.

With the background you have as a full time maintenance technician at an apartment complex, you have an AWESOME advantage that not many people have. Also, being right outside of Minneapolis, you're in a great area for investing. 

If I were you, here is where I would start. 

1) J Scott's Book on Flipping Houses

2) @Brandon Turner 's book on getting properties for No Money Down

3) Once you've done that, the world is your oyster. Start networking with people in your area and offer up your know-how. You'll be on you way to meeting your goals in no time.

Solid profile. Keep thinking big brother. 

Best of luck

Tyler

Medium regular logo   png file   quick print for sticker web  etcTyler Flagg MBA, Ragnar Realty, LLC | [email protected] | 405‑320‑9880 | http://www.ragnarrealty.com

@Tyler Flagg thanks so much I'll dive into those two reads as soon as I'm done with this message. Dream big, think big, live big! 

A little bit of inspiration from your message to I love it! I'll get this train rolling and follow in a fellow Tyler's shoes thanks again man! 

@Tyler Nelson

I would recommend attending local real estate investing meetings to network with investors currently doing deals in our market. Send me a PM and I will pass on the meetings I attend on a monthly basis. In order to ensure your cost estimations are accurate I would get actual bids during your inspection period. 

Cheers, Sawyer 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you