Address Service Requested v. Address Correction Requested

2 Replies

I sent out about 50 mailers with "Address Service Requested". After about a month of no returns, I did some investigation and found that "Address Correction Requested" may be a better approach. Can anybody explain the difference? 

I went to USPS and found their definitions of each but they seem to mean the same thing. Does anybody have any practical experience with this?

You need to decide if you want your (first class) mail piece to be forwarded directly to recipient or if you want it returned to you.

If you want it returned in order to append your database, you'll want to ask USPS what they suggest. It's really your Decision if you want to expedite delivery or know the delivery status of your target.

An Undeliverable mail pieces is referred to as a "Nixie". A single nixie can be worth many times the value of the other names, if you know what to do with them.

@Rick H. Reviving an old post here, but I'm cleaning up a 1000-address driving for dollars list and I'd like to know what to do with the "nixies" when they come. Should I write "Address correction Requested" or skip trace them when I get them back as "undeliverable"?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you