Kansas City

49 Replies

Hi 

I am Philip Charlton I am new to Bigger Pockets plus I am Aussie investor. My Plan is to get into the multi family units but need to start small have been show a few properties in Kansas City. What is Kansas like, is it a good area to look at investing? Is there bad areas to stay away from?

Any info, help, if there are investor looking to partner with an Aussie I am very keen to engage.

Look forward to hearing.

Have a great day

Philip Charlton

hi Phillip!

I have been living in the Kansas City area for  over 20 years. I've lived in midtown/plaza and now up north. There definitely are many areas that are difficult to invest in. 

I'd be happy to talk more if you'd like to private message me. 

@Philip Charlton

I live in CA and invest in Kansas City because of the lower price point and much better cash flow. I would be happy to tell you about what zip codes are in the war zones and any other info that I have learned.

@Philip Charlton -Kansas City is a great market and there are several Turnkey providers here on BP that are active in KC. I would definitely recommend hooking up with them to find the best deals. Being local in KC myself I can find the deals through wholesalers or the MLS that need repairs and manage the project myself, but that would be a little difficult being overseas.

Good luck and if there is anything I can help you with, let me know!

I am looking into investing in KC as well and was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the appreciation in the area and the exit strategy?

@Philip Charlton

Welcome to BP and here is my 1 cent on Kansas City....

I love KC.......It is great for REI

Affordable properties

39.4% of population are renters

Cost of living is 20% lower that US average

Major information and logistics hub for the Mid West

Cost of housing is 20% lower that US average

For your information, I do not live in KC; I live in Toronto and I  invest out of state, but am willing to increase my portfolio in KC from the results I have had so far....

I am not an authority in KC REI, but I did a lot of reasearch before choosing KC and I have no regrets....

Happy investing!

Hi @Philip Charlton

Welcome to BiggerPockets!

Kansas City is a very good market to invest in because there is growth, jobs, and the property values are such that it's not "expensive" so the rent-to-value ratios provide good returns on your investment.

We've been in Kansas City for about 7+ years now, but the last 2 years have been very active.  It has become our client's (investors) favorite choice and our #1 market right now.

The Midwest is generally like that though.  Attractive numbers but the market and areas need to makes sense FIRST.

Feel free to post any other investing questions you have.

Continued success!

Originally posted by Account Closed:

I am looking into investing in KC as well and was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the appreciation in the area and the exit strategy? 

Hi Doris: 

Our 1-year forecast is expected to be around 4.0%.  Smooth and steady growth for a Midwest market.  (Refer to my podcast episode #006)

Your exit strategy will be based heavily on your investment strategy and goals.  The market will play into that somewhat.

Continued success!

@Phillip Charlton 

We've been investing for 15 months now and started slow to learn and replenish our HELOC loan each time. We did the BRRR method that has been talked about on here with Buy, renovate, rent, refinance. Now we are starting to look at multifamiles (triplexes or fourplexes) and may consider partnering or seeking private lending to grow more than we could on our own. I'm not familiar with all areas of Kansas City (a lot of folks invest in Grandview and Independence). I don't know those markets enough to take risks there. We stick with what we know which is up north and midtown.

You are welcome to reach out anytime! I think you can private message by going into the persons profile and selecting send message. 

@Brady Hanna  

@Brady Hanna I also would be interested in any wholesale deals you have so can you put me on your list of contacts? Thanks!

@Marco Santerelli  @Ndy Onyido and @Gordon Cuff 

It is great to hear from folks like you who are working successfully in this market even long distance. I feel grateful to live in such a good market.

@Carrie Hallensleben You are fortunate to be in a great market like Kansas City. KC is on fire now. The only thing I would caution you about multi families is to be very picky about the location. Multifamily has some unique challenges that you don't always have in SFR. Stick to the better neighborhoods. You can do pretty well in Grandview and Independence.

KC is a good market, something us locals have always known. I know KCK/Wyandotte County like the back of my hand and can tell you what areas to avoid.

@Mike D'Arrigo

I don't doubt that Independence and Grandview are wonderful areas for investors however, I am not comfortable venturing into areas that I am not familiar with. The area we invest now is in a sought after school district of Park Hill. It is a 5 minute drive from home to get to the two we have. 

As far as midtown goes, I am quite familiar with that area as I lived there for nearly 10 years as both a renter and home owner. I know it street by street where the hipsters live, where it gets rough which by the way, our first home was between Troost and Paseo just south of 39th on a diverse and wonderful block but as you probably know, next door/a pocket within what can be a war zone. I also taught for five years at a charter school east of Paseo in the urban core serving families living in high poverty. 

I very much appreciate your caution about investing in and around KC. I don't think anyone who is not familiar with the area should go in blind. I also value your experience with multifamily. Before I move toward making any offers in or around midtown, I have much learning to do about vacancy rate, cap rate, and much more that I don't even know that I need to know.  That's where experts like you and others on this site come in. :)

@Philip Charlton "Kansas City" is a huge metropolitan area. Not only does it comprise 2 states --- Missouri and Kansas ---- it also comprises many local counties such as Platte, Clay and Jackson Counties on the Missouri side and Johnson and Wyandotte Counties on the Kansas side.

Personally I know Kansas City can be great for fix/flip, wholesaling, rentals, and more. I have been an active investor and a real estate Broker both for more than a decade in the Greater Kansas City area.  Area determines the best benefit. Some areas are great for flipping. Many areas are great for rental properties. A few areas you probably want to stay away from altogether as an out of state/country investor. Best to do your own due diligence there is a lot of information readily available. 

There are both single family homes and multifamily units readily available in all areas of the metro area --- the good, the bad, and the ugly.

The key to any of investing as an out of state/country investor is the right property manager. Regardless the cash flow, the deal, the profit, if you don't have good property management your investment will be ran into the ground. If flipping then a good project manager.

Thanks @Marco Santarelli @Mike D'Arrigo   @Carrie Hallensleben   @Joe Fairless  and @Larry Fried for your comments and experience too!

Good luck to all in your real estate endeavors!

Originally posted by @Account Closed

The key to any of investing as an out of state/country investor is the right property manager.  Regardless the cash flow, the deal, the profit, if you don't have good property management your investment will be ran into the ground. 

So true, and spot on.  I jokingly say you "live and die by your property manager".   You're better off having a  property in a "C" neighborhood with an "A" property manager than having it the other way around.

Continued success!

Originally posted by @Philip Charlton :

Hi 

I am Philip Charlton I am new to Bigger Pockets plus I am Aussie investor. My Plan is to get into the multi family units but need to start small have been show a few properties in Kansas City. What is Kansas like, is it a good area to look at investing? Is there bad areas to stay away from?

Any info, help, if there are investor looking to partner with an Aussie I am very keen to engage.

Look forward to hearing.

Have a great day

Philip Charlton

Hi Philip! My name is Charles. I am based in Cleveland, Ohio (Another good spot to own rental property by the way.) I am a wholesaler and as it stands I have access to a few turnkey, cashflowing single family properties in the Kansas City area as well as other cities in the Midwest. Lets connect. And if you ever spark an interest in Cleveland drop me a line! 

Cheers

Originally posted by @Philip Charlton :

Hi 

Look forward to hearing.

Have a great day

Philip Charlton

I actually have access to some off market rental properties in the Kansas City Area. I will definitely be in touch.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you