Double Booking Vacation Rentals

6 Replies

My family booked a vacation rental in Branson this summer. Shortly after booking it online, we were contacted by the owner to say that the unit we booked had been booked by someone else – apparently just before us and via a different site/app. I'm helping a friend setup her website and listings for a new vacation rental and want to keep this from happening. Anyone using multiple sites (i.e. HomeAway and Airbnb, etc) at the same time? How are you preventing double bookings? I listened to ep. 57 & 114 again and read some blog posts, but haven't found anyone talking about this. I think this would seldom occur, but it would make the owner look bad if it did.

I use the VRBO calendar as my primary and they have a calendar widget that I've integrated into my personal rental site . Always screen your guests and use this one calendar. Letting people book a rental automatically through a site is not a good idea. its not a hotel and you need much more control over this type of business. Especially, if your friend doesn't want her places trashed.

You can sync all your calendars so you update only one and the others update automatically, thus assuring all calendars are identical. This is easily done and available via HomeAway, VRBO,  Vacationrentals, Flipkey, AirBnB, Vacation Rental Mgt sites like MyVR and your personal websites 

@Christopher Kilpatrick This is why I only use VRBO as the other sites don't really give you an opportunity to screen the guest and you don't get their contact info until after the booking is made which is somewhat risky.  IMHO just stick to the one site VRBO/Homeaway.

I agree with what the others have said - I wouldn't allow an automatic booking and would instead ensure that a human has spoken with guests prior to their renting a house. You should still look to sync your calendars to avoid double booking, but I'd vote for staying away from the practice of allowing online bookings.

Thanks everyone! As many times as I've heard guests talk about tenant screening, I somehow didn't think about the fact that automatic bookings completely bypass the screening process.

For guest screening, most people have a digital profile these days. In addition, I Google them, looked them up on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, etc. to attempt to see who they are. While this does not guarantee that you are going to have the perfect guest, or group of people staying at your rental, it does give you an idea as to who the person is and what activities they take part in. I do not permit anyone under the age of 25 to rent any of my homes. I've had plenty of ".edu" email addresses specified within the initial inquiries, which is a dead ringer for college kids. In addition, I communicate the information of irresponsible guests to others I know that have rentals on our lakes. They typically do the same. I would suggest that your friend make initial contact with other property owners to get the scoop on what issues they have encountered along the way. 

Steve

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.