Is it legal to contact owner whose house in Forclosure?

5 Replies

I just start my wholesaling and flipping business. And plan to reach out to those owners who are in default either property tax or mortgage. I am in ca. Is it legal for me to contact those owners in distress? Thanks Su
Of course! I do it all the time. There are laws surrounding what you can and can't say. You're not supposed to say you're going to help them, you can stop the foreclosure and a few other things. If you're planning to offer them cash plus pay off the final judgement order then that's absolutely fine.

@Sue Deng

Yes, but never overpromise and always deliver on your promise. Understand how to do wholesaling legally and don't cross state real estate laws. Remember you are selling your interest in a contract and not selling a house.

Thank you very much @Nat Chan and @Bill Pohl.

Does that mean when I speak to the owner I should not mention forclosure?  What are the other things I suppose not to say?  What do you normally say when you talk to them?

I am pretty new to real estate investing, but I am very passionate about it.

Greatly appreciate your help!

Hi Sue!

I'm also a newbie and learning from these posts. Have you gotten any information on what you should not mention?

~Shawna

@Sue Deng   please take no offense.. however If you do not even understand this basic question.. and folks in foreclosure are under EXTREME duress and stress how is someone like you remotely going to help them.. other than for your own self serving gratification.

to come on BP and ask this question just floors me personally.. the blind leading the desperate and this usually leads to those your trying to rip equity form to end up just losing their house.  Plus the foreclosure ship has sailed in Santa Clara county good luck with that.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.