How can I find contact information for an owner?

6 Replies

How can I get contact information for a flip property I want to buy? All I have is an address. I live in Orem / Utah County if that helps. Thanks!

Hi @David Grimm .  For owner mailing address I would look online at the county website.  Under departments, look for Assessor.  Most counties will have a way to look up by address, owner name or parcel #.  If not, go to the courthouse and talk to the assessor's people.  They are very helpful in my experience.  The treasury dept may be good to check online or in person as well.  Good luck!

Hi @David Grimm

Just to piggy back on @Steve Vaughan 's great advice...

I start with the tax records to get the name and mailing address, and then I use Google to try to find a phone number and/or email address.  There are many people-finding websites out there so you can usually find this information for free if you dig enough.

Sometimes you don't have to dig very far if the owner has their own website or public profile with full contact info.  Sometimes the owner may be a company, but when Googling the company's name, an article may pop up that names someone in the company and then you can search for that individual.  

As a real estate agent I always double-check the number is not on the Do Not Call list before reaching out.  

Good luck!

@David Grimm

That's great advice from both other responses before me. i.e. Property Appraiser and Google. I'd like to add that if those options fail for whatever reason, you can easily skip trace the owner. We use an inexpensive service and primarily if the owner has already moved. I can even get their mobile number sometimes. Good luck!

Hi @David Grimm

Is the property vacant? You could always knock on the door and talk to them. Or if it is vacant talk to the neighbors. Chances are they can give you some kind of contact information for the owner.

The County records office is a must. Their records will also have a mailing address if they don't happen to live in that home. In our office we utilize Peoplesmart.com and USSearch.com to locate phone numbers and sometimes email addresses to contact the owner. If all else fails you can at least add the address to your next mailing list and hopefully get your phone number in their hands. Hope this helps!

Use a people finder site like peoplefinders.com or beenverified. If that doesn't do it, have someone with an accurint or microbilt account look them up

Also try finding the seller on social media

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.