Asian Sellers in the Twin Cities, Need Cultural Insight

6 Replies

Disclaimer: Before I'm labeled as being racist, I want to recognize that every culture has it's idiosyncrasies. I just need some help understanding Asian culture, especially as it pertains to the Asian groups in Minneapolis/St. Paul, Twin Cities.

Ok, now that is out of the way...

One thing I've observed through my marketing efforts is that nearly every Asian caller I work with is unwilling to allow me to ask some clarifying questions about their property.

They call me back and say, "How much you pay my house?" When I try to ask about the condition of the exterior or interior, I'm met with frustration and impatience.

I have made sure to tweak my marketing so it's not like most mailings you see: "I want to buy your house at 1234 Main Street." My phrasing is more like, "I'm looking to buy a house and yours may meet my criteria."

Does anyone have insight with how to deal with this type of attitude?

Perhaps they're just not motivated, but I want to make sure I'm not missing something culturally.

Are you sure it isn't just a language issue?

I used to sell insurance and we sold to many chinese customers.  They had their own way of communicating what they needed and didn't know the insurance buzz words.  When they said they wanted 2 way insurance on their auto and bumped their fists together that meant they wanted full coverage.  Once I learned the ways they knew how to describe their needs i was farther down the path to making a sale.

Of course, I could be missing something in language.

I've noticed a pattern where there's almost an unwillingness to answer my questions, and I'm not running through a five page script. I can't even get an assessment on the condition of their home on the outside or inside.

Based on my experience in China, I guess in the Asian culture we won't trust a stranger easily, especially someone who's going to buy your house. They might be afraid if it's a scam or criminal. They think the detailed of information of the house is privacy, they won't willing to share unless they feel that they can trust you. Language might be another barrier, they probably don't understanding why do you want to know. I suggest you can take your time to explain the reason and build the trust. Hope that helps.

Originally posted by @Jinyu D. :

...They think the detailed of information of the house is privacy, they won't willing to share unless they feel that they can trust you...I suggest you can take your time to explain the reason and build the trust. Hope that helps.

This is a great insight. Perhaps I need to pre-empt my questions with these callers with something like, "I may be interested in purchasing your property, but I need to better understand the condition of the property before I could make you an offer on the property. Is that okay?"

@Matthew Berry Stumbled across this while reading through direct mail discussions. I'm Asian and in my current W-2 job also specialize in language. 

From your specific example, "How much you pay my house"? It sounds like there is some language barrier. Delivery is very important. Not just when speaking to people who speak multiple languages but in general. 

-Speak slower and clearer (not in a patronizing way, but some people speak faster than others and when it's a second language it is harder to process.)

-Use shorter sentences (don't overload them with information. This ties in with the earlier point)

If it's not a language issue, then my advise is just to try to be as personal and polite as possible. That probably applies to all cultures. Perhaps provide a more in depth introduction of yourself than you would normally. Like @Jinyu D. said, they may find it hard to believe that some stranger, who they've never heard of, just found their address and wants to buy their house for cash. It may be beneficial to say that this is what you do for a living, or something of that nature, and that you've been doing this for X number of years. From my personal experience, Asians typically like to hear about somebody's credibility before working with them.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
    • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
    • Learn how to get started with or without money,
    • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
    • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you