Feeling Like a Stalker

8 Replies

I am new to the game, so I need advice...

I found a distressed property owner on Facebook. However, I cannot find her address. I sent a letter to the address on the property tax records, but it was returned. We stay in the same city and have mutual FB friend.

I am positive it is her. I saw her mother's obituary, same person the property was deed to her from. And saw a picture of her in front of the house. Wow!!! I Felt like a super detective/super stalker!!!

Would it be weird to send her an email via FB? I don't want to turn her off before I even get my foot in the door.

I would introduce myself and send honest condolences. The house might come up in the conversation and then it will seem like her idea. Either way my approach with every lead is to let them talk about their favorite subject, themselves.  Listen long enough and you will find a closing opportunity to steer the conversation. This is a basic cold calling approach that works like a charm.

@Monique Sanders if you're not friends a message will go to her "other inbox" and may not be seen. Here's some info on how you may be able to avoid that via paid messages on FB.

https://www.facebook.com/help/320160428099000

How about asking the friend to introduce you? LinkedIn and Twitter can also be pretty useful.

@Nathan Weaver thank you for the tips. I have found that listening works very well because people love to talk about themselves.  Your suggestion along with @Tim Booz suggest of an introduction from a mutual friend sounds like a winning combination! 

@Monique Sanders Change your mind set from feeling like a stalker to feeling like a salesperson ... A business person.

@Nick Britton I knew that was what you were going to say, lol. Just needed an aggressive meter. Sometimes I can be way too aggressive. Thank you! 

Originally posted by @Nathan Weaver :

I would introduce myself and send honest condolences. The house might come up in the conversation and then it will seem like her idea. Either way my approach with every lead is to let them talk about their favorite subject, themselves.  Listen long enough and you will find a closing opportunity to steer the conversation. This is a basic cold calling approach that works like a charm.

Hmm, how do you beat around the bush in a cold call?

not that I have any experience as a buyer in this situation but as a potential seller I myself would be a bit put off if after being connected with someone for ostensibly other unknown reasons in the end it came down to a solicitation then I might instinctively go towards anyone else offering services that was more up front. But that's just me and maybe this person you're "stalking" lol. But I guess it's really about the numbers and I'd go with however most people would react. Maybe an approach down the middle, or take a minimum of steps before coming out with your true business. As far as a friend connecting two people on a pretense, I wouldn't suggest it. At most I'd have my friend mention to this prospect about her friend(you) who might have a solution to her 'possible' problem. Good luck. Keep us posted!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.