TIPS for Marketing for Wholesale Deals on Craigslist???

18 Replies

Hey BP community,

I have been sent out two rounds of yellow letters with a measly response rate and wondering about diversifying my marketing efforts to other free online resources like Craigslist and backpages. 

Does anybody have any tips of which categories to post in, subject titles for adds, posting body content, pictures, frequency, etc???

Also, any Do's and Don'ts especially to not get flagged or worse based on the wrong verbiage, posting frequencies tactics?

Lastly, good resources to automate this process so I can free up an hour a day for more productive, profitable activities.

All input is much appreciated!

Cheers,

Billy Bell

Phoenix, Tempe, Scottsdale, Arizona, Wholesale, Marketing.

I wouldn't stop mailing letters or postcards to those same people. However there is a program I've heard of on the podcast called if this then that you might want to look into for automating your craigslist searches.

@Billy Bell the website that @Joshua Swanger mentioned is shown below.  Along with the page from craigslist that explains how to use advanced searches.  The IFTT recipes only allow you to use one search at a time.  So you either need to create a separate recipe for each keyword you want to look for, or create an "advanced" search that encompasses multiple keywords.  It definitely takes some tweaking so keep playing around with it until you get the results you'd like.  Otherwise, look around youtube for a video from some wholesaler that explains the process and sells his searches for ~$100.  I'm cheap so I'd rather figure out how to do it for free :)

Good luck!

https://ifttt.com/craigslist/recipes

http://www.craigslist.org/about/help/search

@Billy Bell , great questions.

We have been sending out mailers since the early 2000s.  After a ton of trial and error we figured out that sending an actual purchase agreement with a cover letter explaining how you want the deal to go, is the best method.  I budget a 1% response buy its closer to 5%. Please remember you need perfect data before sending out a mailer. 

I ask everyone I come in contact with who expresses an interest in learning the acquisition business to drop everything and go straight to craigslist and post a want ad for cheap property.  Nearly everyone expresses amazement over the response they get.

If you reach out to me, I'll show you where all this instruction is and get you pointed in the right direction.

FYI, post cards and letters of any color are for newbies, in my opinion.  Hope this helps...

Billy,

Keep in mind that it is essential to have multiple marketing platforms to truly capitalize on current opportunities. Also whenever testing a marketing platform, like your yellow letter campaign it is important to use a broad time frame to accurately track the overall results: 3-6 months is typically a good benchmark.

CraigsList can be a great resource but it is often difficult to not get lost amongst all of the other ads. You may want so suggest so alternative marketing options like working with probate leads or reaching out to absentee owners. You should be able to get absentee owner lists from your local title agency or real estate attorney. 

Good luck out there!

An absentee owner does not necessary have any trigger that motivates their interest in selling unless you find, agitate the problem and exploit the opportunity.

Too many would-be marketers try to tell all in their initial contact direct response nail piece. I think it better to have a series of touches over time and focus on a single issue. 

Then, the objective of the mail piece is to contact you in a particular manner, i.e. Call, etc.

If you want To learn what the masters do, watch TV gadget sales people and pay special note of their proposition and how they direct you to reach them.

Originally posted by @Joshua Swanger :

I wouldn't stop mailing letters or postcards to those same people. However there is a program I've heard of on the podcast called if this then that you might want to look into for automating your craigslist searches.

Hey Josh,

Thanks for your input. I definitely will continue sending letters and postcards, beacause they have been working, just not as much as i hoped so i am looking for the best additional ways to market on top of the mailers.

Thank you,

Billy

Originally posted by @Gerardo Dominguez :

@Billy Bell the website that @Joshua Swanger mentioned is shown below.  Along with the page from craigslist that explains how to use advanced searches.  The IFTT recipes only allow you to use one search at a time.  So you either need to create a separate recipe for each keyword you want to look for, or create an "advanced" search that encompasses multiple keywords.  It definitely takes some tweaking so keep playing around with it until you get the results you'd like.  Otherwise, look around youtube for a video from some wholesaler that explains the process and sells his searches for ~$100.  I'm cheap so I'd rather figure out how to do it for free :)

Good luck!

https://ifttt.com/craigslist/recipes

http://www.craigslist.org/about/help/search

Hey Thanks Gerardo,

Thanks for providing that link, and I will definitely check out youtube for some tips. I have learned many great things on youtube, and like you I am cheap so i like to figure everything i can out for free!

Thank you,

Billy Bell

Originally posted by @Account Closed :

@Billy Bell In my opinion do not be 'obnoxious' I see many wholesalers that 'blow-up' craigslist. Be open, honest, and subtle. Limit your posts and your cap locks. Hope that helps.

Hey Nick,

I couldn't agree more. There are few things i hate more on the internet than obnoxious craiglist scammers. It's gotta hurt more than it helps! I was thinking one post a day, posted mid-late morning.

Thank you,

Billy Bell

Originally posted by @Jack Butala :

@Billy Bell, great questions.

We have been sending out mailers since the early 2000s.  After a ton of trial and error we figured out that sending an actual purchase agreement with a cover letter explaining how you want the deal to go, is the best method.  I budget a 1% response buy its closer to 5%. Please remember you need perfect data before sending out a mailer. 

I ask everyone I come in contact with who expresses an interest in learning the acquisition business to drop everything and go straight to craigslist and post a want ad for cheap property.  Nearly everyone expresses amazement over the response they get.

If you reach out to me, I'll show you where all this instruction is and get you pointed in the right direction.

FYI, post cards and letters of any color are for newbies, in my opinion.  Hope this helps...

Steve,

Thank you for your input, i sent you a colleague request and a message to learn more.

Cheers,

Billy Bell

Originally posted by @Sean Parkes :

Billy,

Keep in mind that it is essential to have multiple marketing platforms to truly capitalize on current opportunities. Also whenever testing a marketing platform, like your yellow letter campaign it is important to use a broad time frame to accurately track the overall results: 3-6 months is typically a good benchmark.

CraigsList can be a great resource but it is often difficult to not get lost amongst all of the other ads. You may want so suggest so alternative marketing options like working with probate leads or reaching out to absentee owners. You should be able to get absentee owner lists from your local title agency or real estate attorney. 

Good luck out there!

Sean,

Thank you for the advice. I have been doing yellow letters for only two months and will continue to do them for at least 6 months to truely find what works. I have been targeting absentee owners from listsource.com, and want to target probate, tax delinquent, erc, but just don't know enough about them to do it efficiently and also legally. So that's something I definitely need to research, just havn't found a trusted source to learn enough about those avenues to pursue them. If you know where I can learn that information, i would be greatly appreciative for your wisdom! 

Thanks again,

Billy Bell

Originally posted by @Rick H. :

An absentee owner does not necessary have any trigger that motivates their interest in selling unless you find, agitate the problem and exploit the opportunity.

Too many would-be marketers try to tell all in their initial contact direct response nail piece. I think it better to have a series of touches over time and focus on a single issue. 

Then, the objective of the mail piece is to contact you in a particular manner, i.e. Call, etc.

If you want To learn what the masters do, watch TV gadget sales people and pay special note of their proposition and how they direct you to reach them.

Hey Rick,

Great points and tips!! I am interested in what you meant by too many marketers try to "tell all" in their initial letter? I inderstand the value of the tease effect you're using here, but what do you suggest should be included in the initial letter, and the subsequent follow up letters/postcards, to execute this strategy effectively? I will definitely check out the gadget salesmen from tv to learn some of the relative skills! Great tip!

Thank you,

Billy Bell

sellers that are online (ie craigslist) tend to generally already have plethora of principal/investor/developer offers directly at their fingertips/ in their inbox

I'm referring to people providing prospects a plethora of plausibilities. (Say that fast three times). 

@Neil G. My Great Grandfather own Signal Hill in the late 1800's but could not afford to keep property taxes current and ultimately lost it all during depression era. The story keeps me grounded. 

Originally posted by @Michael Biggs :

I have 40-50 ads loaded up in CL AutoPilot (http://clautopilot.net) at any given time. You need to create 10 separate accounts for that kind of volume but there's instructions how to do that. 

Phenomenal leads.

Awesome! I will check that out thank you! 

I have had a single ad up with all the usual and recommended info since I posted this back in august and havnt had a single call. But I will try the clautopilot to see if that makes the difference.

@Billy Bell

I am in Central Illinois and have been advertising on Craigslist for over a year consistently. I started out with mostly flashy "big business" looking ads (as an ex graphic designer that is sufficient in Photoshop it was easy). I did get responses (which eventually led me to my first deal), but not at a rate I would've hoped for (considering I was posting 3-4 adds daily and manually might I add). So just this past month I decided to try something different.

I changed my whole advertising scheme to something more personal and trusting. I simply put 1 picture of myself in the images and titled my post "My name is Jerry -- I Buy Houses". I went on to put some facts of my business and how I'd like to help owners with the Real Estate needs.

And WOW has things changed! I have a response rate at least 10 times better than my flashy ads. I now only have that 1 ad posting once a day 6-7 days a week (tip: create the same ad twice so you can just simply login and "renew" each post everyday with out making new ones since Craigslist allows you to renew an add every other day). I do post them in many categories, seems spam-ish, but I try not not to flood each category. That's why I only post once a day. They are in pretty much any category related to housing; services; and financial.

I was the first (to my knowledge) to do this in my area, so if someone has done this in yours already, not sure how well it would do then. But I do believe that being honest, genuine, and personal will get you better responses than the flashy big business ads and hiding behind a web add or google voice number. Just my two cents.

Hope this helps! And best of luck to you in your REI journey!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you