Feedback on a potential domain name?

20 Replies

Hi folks!

We're in Berks County PA, which will be our main target market for starting wholesaling REI. We're still kind of limited on cash so I'll only be registering one domain. I can build a "landing page" or secondary site on a subdomain later on.

But for the primary, which sounds better or does anyone have suggestions?

BerksCoWholesaleHomes.com

BerksCoPAWholesaleHomes.com

Thanks!

While I still think the first one is too long, I think it is the better choice of the two. I would think a little bit more about potential choices...I like the K.I.S.S. advice (Keep it Simple, Stupid). Do you really expect anyone to remember this webpage url?

Originally posted by @Brianna H. :

While I still think the first one is too long, I think it is the better choice of the two. I would think a little bit more about potential choices...I like the K.I.S.S. advice (Keep it Simple, Stupid). Do you really expect anyone to remember this webpage url?

Maybe you can give me some ideas?  Our last name is REALLY long to begin with, otherwise I was thinking of just using MusselmanREI; but that doesn't exactly say what we're going to be doing - investing in wholesale houses in Berks County.

I'm pretty much totally at a loss.  LOL

I understand what Brianna is saying but I think that may be very effective for general searches, especially online.

Originally posted by @Karen Musselman :
Originally posted by @Brianna H.:

Maybe you can give me some ideas?  Our last name is REALLY long to begin with, otherwise I was thinking of just using MusselmanREI; but that doesn't exactly say what we're going to be doing - investing in wholesale houses in Berks County.

I'm pretty much totally at a loss.  LOL

Although your last name is long, I like MusselmanWholesale. While this URL is long, it's only 2 words and as long as they can spell your last name, they can remember it. Plus, you can have a strong guy as your logo, which would help people remember the name better. Or maybe BerksWholesale. (I am not checking to see if these are available). There are webpages that give you tips on creating a catchy URL...try researching that. Obviously, the shorter the better, but also it helps to have words starting with the same letter or catch phrases. Maybe BerksBuyers? 

Cool!  How about MusselmanWholesaleRE? Or MusselmanWholesaleREI?  The name 'Musselman' is relatively popular; think Musselman's Applesauce. ROFL

Adding the RE or REI at the end gives people the idea that it's wholesale real estate and not wholesale anything else.

Originally posted by @Justin Taber :

I understand what Brianna is saying but I think that may be very effective for general searches, especially online.

That's what I was thinking too.  I'm going to do a little more keyword research first I think, but I don't want to overthink the keywords either. 

I'm listening to this BP podcast now so I really need to get going on my website.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3im8_esbKE

Cool!  How about MusselmanWholesaleRE? Or MusselmanWholesaleREI?  The name 'Musselman' is relatively popular; think Musselman's Applesauce. ROFL

Adding the RE or REI at the end gives people the idea that it's wholesale real estate and not wholesale anything else.

My advice would be to run it by some friends/family. After presenting the name to them, ask them if they remember it after talking to them for 30 minutes. If they can't remember it, then no one else will. 

I think you should consider where you plan on drawing your readers. Yes, a descriptive name might help with Google searches, but relevant content within your website will also do the same job. If you want people to return to your website again and again, you want something that they will remember. Adding RE to the end might distinguish your business to average Joe, but to someone that has visited a few times, they know you are in the real estate business. And who really cares if people visit your webpage that are looking for wholesale applesauce? :-P More hits means your webpage is higher on the search list!

Okay - I just registered MusselmanWholesaleREI.com.

Thanks for the input!!!!

Originally posted by @Brianna H. :

My advice would be to run it by some friends/family. After presenting the name to them, ask them if they remember it after talking to them for 30 minutes. If they can't remember it, then no one else will. 

Unfortunately, we don't really talk about business to any of our family, unless they ask first, which they usually don't. The last time I ever mentioned anything to the family was when we tried REI back in '07. Their reaction? "Well, let us know how THAT works out for you... [chuckle, snicker]."

I promise you... I could tell them the name of the website five times and ask them to repeat it back and they still wouldn't remember it 30 min. later!! LOL

As far as SEO, I've been online for quite a few years; designed and sold a couple of sites, etc., so that's not a problem. The blog posts themselves will draw the traffic, and I'm mostly concerned about local traffic anyway, not global. So that's a relief!!

I did my own logo too. I think it looks kind of cool. :-)

Originally posted by @Brianna H.:

Unfortunately, we don't really talk about business to any of our family, unless they ask first, which they usually don't. The last time I ever mentioned anything to the family was when we tried REI back in '07. Their reaction? "Well, let us know how THAT works out for you... [chuckle, snicker]."

I promise you... I could tell them the name of the website five times and ask them to repeat it back and they still wouldn't remember it 30 min. later!! LOL

As far as SEO, I've been online for quite a few years; designed and sold a couple of sites, etc., so that's not a problem. The blog posts themselves will draw the traffic, and I'm mostly concerned about local traffic anyway, not global. So that's a relief!!

I did my own logo too. I think it looks kind of cool. :-)

Goodluck!! 

No way to those. You need to keep it short/memorable. 

My blog: DiyReiGuy.com

My lead generation site: SellStlHouses.com

(stl = st louis)

Although you have a unique last name Musselman may not have a customer friendly impression to a female demographic. I would suggest that if your focus is Berks County then you could easily set up a domain that reflects that.

BerksCountyrei.com  (which was available at the time I posted this response) 

1&1 offers a .99 first year deal and go daddy and others offer similar domain registration fees

The k.i.s.s strategy is a great one and its important to plan around your target audience early on. Remember the nice thing about domains is you can always forward and redirect the traffic

Best of luck

Garrett 

Thanks everybody for your awesome feedback!!

I'd already registered musselmanwholesalerei.com before the last couple of feedbacks, so I guess I'm stuck with it for now.

Oh well...  I believe I'll have to get creative with the content, especially with the meta description that shows up in the search engine listings.

And yes, I'll be looking for a different domain name soon, then forward the long one to the new one.

I would register a few names (using coupons, you can get them down to under $3 each at godaddy).  Then forward them all to a different landing page on your main site.  After 90 days, you can see what is working by checking your analytic data and focus on that domain.

This also works great for multiple campaigns... you run an ad in 3 newspapers with 3 different domain names and see which one gets the best traffic... that is the paper you spend more money in next time since it showed a better return!  

For example:

SellingNokomisDOTcom - Listings in Nokomis FL within my test site (not a real MLS feed)

ServingSarasotaDOTcom - Listings in Sarasota FL within my test site. (not a real MLS feed)

(I would also register musclemanwholesalerei.com to cover those spelling challenged)

Great ideas Edward!  At the time, unfortunately, we are SERIOUSLY low on cash at the moment, so the extra domain names will have to wait.

Gotta love living on a fixed limited income.  gggrrrrr

@Karen Musselman

I would not advertise "wholesale" in my domain name unless you were just targeting cash buyers, then it's ok. Sellers aren't going to be very receptive to that word as they are tring to get retail (in their minds).

In regard to using your last name,  the city name would be much better because that's what people are typing into the search box i.e sell home in reading, sell house reading, pa etc. It will also help you rank your site a little easier. I noticed your city only has a population of about 383 so I would personally target the biggest city in the county like Reading or another city with some population. Separate the websites too - one to buy and one to sell. Example: readinghomebuyers.com / readingwholesalers.com. I would NOT put everything on one site like sell a house, buy a house, become a private lender. If you do this you will lose A LOT of potential leads. 

A Squeeze page would be a lot better than a brochure website to capture leads. Your conversion rates will be a lot higher. you can always send potential prospects to your main website after you have captured their information. otherwise people will just come to your site, leave and you will never know who they are. I did a quick screenshot of a cash buyer squeeze page to show you the important elements. If they want to get wholesale deals their only option is to enter their name and email! I hope this makes sense.

If you have questions please feel free to ask. I'll try to get back to you ASAP.

Originally posted by @Tim Herndon :

@Karen Musselman

I would not advertise "wholesale" in my domain name unless you were just targeting cash buyers, then it's ok. Sellers aren't going to be very receptive to that word as they are trying to get retail (in their minds).

-----------------------------------

Thank you so much, Tim!

I haven't done anything on that website yet, so it's no biggie if I don't use it.

I'm not sure how much we'll do in Reading city proper, but there are a lot of opportunities in Berks County overall.

We'll also be looking in Lehigh, Schuylkill and Chester Counties too. I have family in Chester County; hubs' daughter lives in Lehigh County, and his son lives in Schuylkill.

What would you suggest for a better name that doesn't just concentrate on Reading?

Also, what I was planning to do was build out two separate landing pages on subdomains but not link them together. So if a buyer is on the buyer's subdomain landing page, there's no connection to the Seller's; vice versa.

So - mydomain.com

Then mydomain.com/buyerlandingpage

mydomain.com/sellerlandingpage

mydomain.com/privatelenderinfopage (optional I guess)

I would also NOT link out to either landing page from the main blog, but each separate subdomain/landing page can link back to the main blog.

I'm just trying to get everything launched with as little cash outlay as possible. I have more time than money right now, since I'm 95% housebound.

Berkswholesale or berksbuyshouses 

don't like the rest 

You should abandon the domain you purchased for sure. People cannot spell your name or wholesale.

People also do not search wholesale on google they search cheap. So go order (yourareacode)cheap.com

CheapBerkshomes.com if that make sure you get CheapBerkshouses.com and point one to the other.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here