Do you take out the "In state" absentee owners from your list ?

12 Replies

So i was taking a look at my list to try and scrape it so that its more targeted and hopefully more "efficient" . Found out a lot of Absentee owners live in California and not too far out from their rentals. Should i not attempt direct mail to them ? 

I have had success in the past with postcards to homeowners close to their rentals. Usually if they are older and they just don't want to deal with rentals any longer. I guess it depends on how targeted you want to be.

no @Abraham Hodroj if I was you I would mail to them as well 

Landlords get frustrated by tenants and will sell to be rid of the headache 

Good luck

@Mark Nelson @Mark Brogan my concern is that i just looked over at one of my lists and it has 1300 leads, only 90 of them are out of state. the rest are in state 

Who are you using to source your leads? Are you able to search specifically for in state and out of state?

@Mark Nelson @Mark Brogan I called them and found out that i am able to do that. On list source for instance my list count drops from 2k to 189 when i select only "out of state" so i'm thinking in orange county most will be in state 

If the majority of them are in-state you might want to think about adding some additional parameters like people over 60 and maybe %50 or higher equity in the home. Something that will make it more likely that they are looking to sell a home.

@Abraham Hodroj

You will find many more in state absentee owners than out of state and many of them living within 50 miles of the subject property. It doesn't mean that they will not be motivated to sell. You should definitely keep the in state leads and add extra filters by equity, property type, age, etc to refine the leads you will be mailing too. 

Originally posted by @Abraham Hodroj :

So i was taking a look at my list to try and scrape it so that its more targeted and hopefully more "efficient" . Found out a lot of Absentee owners live in California and not too far out from their rentals. Should i not attempt direct mail to them ? 

There of course will be instate absentee owners in just about any state including California. When talking instate v. 'out of state' absentee owners, its just a variance in terms of levels of pain. 

Living in Maine and owning property in California may be severely painful but living in Nevada and owning in California might not be as much. Within California, living in Yreka and owning in El Centro might not be materially different in terms of pain.

Interstate or intercity maintenance of a house could still be a severe headache to many. About 5% often are 'out of state' absentee owners and some 4% typically are 'in state' absentees -- at least thats the case based on a particular city here in Florida.

I did a mailing to 4,409 absentee owners in Jacksonville and as Account Closed mentioned most of them are in-state owners.  Here is a top 10 list of the owners state:

- Florida: 3764

- California: 149

- Georgia: 93

- Virginia: 53

- New York: 34

- North Carolina: 28

- Maryland: 24

- Texas: 23

- Tennessee: 22

- New Jersey: 16

Originally posted by @Erik K. :

I did a mailing to 4,409 absentee owners in Jacksonville and as @Greg F. mentioned most of them are in-state owners.  Here is a top 10 list of the owners state:

- Florida: 3764

- California: 149

- Georgia: 93

- Virginia: 53

- New York: 34

- North Carolina: 28

- Maryland: 24

- Texas: 23

- Tennessee: 22

- New Jersey: 16

For SFRs, about 5.4% reside 'out of state' and about 4.07% for 'instate' absentee. This is specifically for SFRs. The numbers for Multi Family is materially different for instance.

How is the list populated? Does it by chance have lat-long for both the subject property and the address of the owner? 

If so, you could attempt to process/append the list with the Haversine distance (nautical miles, which is quasi-linear).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haversine_formula

I've also worked with databases that interface with map APIs and calculate drive-time distance as well (based on two addresses). This is more accurate for the "headache" factor than an "as-the-crow-flies" distance.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here