Following Up with Sellers

10 Replies

Howdy, everyone

I have a couple of questions and couldn't find much info on it. I'm wondering... Do you think following up with a seller via text message is a good strategy? Should I follow up in different ways? Like email, direct mail, leaving a voicemail, etc. I've primarily followed up with text messages so far because it's easier and quick. Also, what should I say in my follow up message. This is what my message currently is for the 1st follow up:

"Hi, [first name], how have you been? It's Andre. We spoke about a month ago about your property listed for sale. I am just wondering if you sold it yet. Thanks! Make it a great day."

Do you think this is a good follow up message? Any suggestions and advice on improving it? Any help is appreciated.

Are you wholesaling ? Sounds like a good method to me

Originally posted by @Amanda Keller:

Are you wholesaling ? Sounds like a good method to me

Thanks for writting in.

Yes, I am wholesaling. I'm also wondering. How often do you think I should follow up with sellers? Every month or so? 

Well how do you get your leads I do direct mail and give them a offer a day later 

I would leave a voice mail first assuming they don't answer and follow up a day or two later if they don't return call. The text would be simple "hi, this is Adrien. I left you a message on Thursday. Have you found a buyer yet?" 

An initial text is not yet professional. 

Medium investnwiAdrien S., Invest NWI | [email protected] | 219‑237‑9088 | http://www.investnwi.com

@John Baker I think texting is a great way of communicating. If you have already established that as a form of communication with the seller, I don't see a problem following up using that method. A phone call or text every month is ideal. They will also be hearing from you again on your subsequent mailing if you are doing direct mail.

Follow up is actually one of the most important aspects of your marketing campaign. Consistency will separate you from the rest of the competition.

Happy investing!

Sincerely,

E. Harris

Depends on the seller. My tired landlord's hate it or just don't have it.  They are in their 60's - 80's.  They like landlines and speaking in person. 

Sudden seller job transfer in their 30's?  They prefer it!  

Staying in touch is always a good idea; however, whether it is a text or a voice mail your contact will have much greater impact if you make it less generic.  For example, "Hi Mr Smith, this is Andre.  Wanted to check in and see how things are going for you and if you are still thinking of downsizing.  If so and you have not yet sold your home, I would really like to help you achieve your goals.  Look forward to speaking with you soon."   

That may be a sucky example, BUT it has been my experience that if you present yourself as being attuned to the person's needs and offering them an avenue to achieve their wants or solving their problems they will respond to you as opposed to ignoring you or contacting someone else.

Originally posted by @Cindy Meyer :

Staying in touch is always a good idea; however, whether it is a text or a voice mail your contact will have much greater impact if you make it less generic.  For example, "Hi Mr Smith, this is Andre.  Wanted to check in and see how things are going for you and if you are still thinking of downsizing.  If so and you have not yet sold your home, I would really like to help you achieve your goals.  Look forward to speaking with you soon."   

That may be a sucky example, BUT it has been my experience that if you present yourself as being attuned to the person's needs and offering them an avenue to achieve their wants or solving their problems they will respond to you as opposed to ignoring you or contacting someone else.

Thanks for writting in.

Ah, I see. So a more custom message to their specific needs will get a better response. But it would be a pain to craft each indivdual message and send it out to hundreds of sellers. I appreciate the help. Thanks.

@john baker  I really don't see nothing wrong with the way you follow up as long they know that's you following up..just follow up over and over until they ask to remove my number from your list 

@John Baker As a few folks have pointed out, I believe its better to follow up on the phone as its harder for a seller to just "ignore" your message. If you've established that the seller will communicate via text, i would shift from a passive message "I am just wondering if you sold it yet" to something more active that provides the seller with a sense of urgency "we're actively looking for a property to buy in the next 7 days, so if you're still looking to sell and sell fast, we're ready to buy right now"

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you