How to identify properties with absentee owners??

7 Replies

Hi BP community!

Does anyone have insight on how I can identify properties that aren't owner occupied? Also, do you have any advice on contacting homeowners in preforeclosure? I have heard on a number of occasions that mailings to these groups can be a great source for flip leads.

Thanks in advance!

Sarah 

If you go through list source..... Call and tell them your buddy is getting a way better rate than the exorbitant amount they asked you for online. They will put a discount on your account that makes all of your lists cheaper going forward.

Just did a list of 1600 Names

Quote pre complaint : $400

Post compalint: $150 

Feel free to mail me a check equal to half of your savings ;)

can't you just look at a house and tell it's absentee owned? Maybe that's just an innate ability I have :).      (Side note - I use list source for those). 

Finding vacant houses can be another gold mine but it takes time and patience. I can give you tips on sporting those of you need. 

@Adrien Chabot @Stuart Birdsong @Ryan Dossey

Thank you so much for the advice, it sounds like List Source is the way to go. What do you generally find to be the response rate per 1000 letters sent? Is this the most effect lead generation for flips or wholesale?

Ryan D. if we find a flip from this, the check will be in the mail!

Adrien, we have seen a number of vacant homes (some quite appealing) that said, we've had no luck finding the owners contact or mailing info. What do you do to research this?

I find owners info on county tax records. 80% of time mailing address for taxes is same address so I'll mail to house and hope it finds them. The gems are when taxes are mailed to a different address. That's how I get most of my deals on vacant houses. 

How would I narrow down the criteria for absentee owners on list source to get better results? I got a list of 300 last month and had no result not sure if my list was to broad. And advise is good advice thank you. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you