Google Voice

20 Replies

I heard on a podcast (cant remember which one) that Google Voice is a good service to automate calls and such.

• Has anyone had any issues with Google Voice?
  • What is another great service that resembles the services Google Voice provides?

I use Google Voice for marketing. I put numbers out there so people can call and leave there message. I can play them back from my PC / laptop.

I love Google Voice and use it as my business phone. It enables me to screen calls and/or forward straight to voicemail after screening without even "answering" the call. Plus I know any calls that come through to that number have to do with business and it all comes straight to my cell phone.

I'm not really sure what you mean by "automate calls" but I definitely love using google voice. Like Jaqueline said any communication that comes thru on that number I know is for a specific purpose. 

Originally posted by @Kevin Izquierdo :

I heard on a podcast (cant remember which one) that Google Voice is a good service to automate calls and such.

• Has anyone had any issues with Google Voice?
  • What is another great service that resembles the services Google Voice provides?

Google Voice is gravy on the biscuit. I have multiple accounts in order to have multiple numbers I use for business. I'm in the Richmond/Hampton Roads area, so I have an 804 and 757 GV number. I use the 804 number for client calls (as an agent) and I use my 757 number for regular REI calls.

When you set the account up, be sure to uncheck "Ask unknown callers to say their name" in the "Call Screening" section so the Google Voice intro isn't heard by the caller (i.e. "welcome to Google Voice, please state your name after the tone"). In the "Caller ID" section choose "Display my Google Voice number," this way the Google Voice number will appear on your phone when you get a call. You'll want to save that GV number as a contact under your business name (likewise for your other GV numbers).

One thing: you can customize the digits in your number, but when YOU call them, on smartphones they'll see a different city & state you're calling from. Just today I had a seller tell me "so you're in New Jersey but you have a Chicago number?", and you can hear the suspicion dripping off his voice. He's the most recent in a looong roster of sellers who mention it. Just so you're aware it may happen to you, have a nice reason ready so you don't come off just that much more shady. These people are already expecting the run-around by talking to you (unfortunately), so yeah. I just say it's the service I use to text me my voicemails if I miss calls.

I've used google voice; but now for my marketing I use Grasshopper (and prefer it). Try grasshopper, if you're needing to screen calls and/or allow clients to leave a voicemail so you can call them back at a designated time.

I love Google Voice. We have it set up so that we can screen all calls and there is an "attendant" on duty at all times. And I can read the phone message, see what property they are calling about, and hit them with a direct link to call them back on my smart phone. And I was able to select a phone number that was relatively easy to remember for the business. 

Did I say I love Google Voice? 

Agreeed. google voice has been great(free) so far, works great for helping keep track of calls and voicemail for my marketing campaign. There is a lot of YouTube videos that were helpful in setting up and fine tuning Google voice. I even have it synced to my Podio account. And some point I'll have to upgrade to ring central or call rail but for now GV works just fine.

I use google voice for my tenants so that I don't give out my number cell number.  It works great for that but I use phone.com for my direct mail and real estate brokerage numbers.  

Can someone that is using google voice please tell me the exact settings they use currently?  I have it set up and want to make sure I am using is to the best of it's ability.

I also set the app up on my iPhone.  

Originally posted by @Jacqueline Carrington :

I love Google Voice and use it as my business phone. It enables me to screen calls and/or forward straight to voicemail after screening without even "answering" the call. Plus I know any calls that come through to that number have to do with business and it all comes straight to my cell phone.

Hey Jacqueline, I use Google Voice for my business; and the calls come to my cell phone as well. However, I can never tell if it's a call to my google number. It comes to my phone like any other phone call with the callers telephone number. Is there a setting in Google Voice to have the google number come up on caller ID? Thanks!

@Andy Cross you may have to adjust your settings. When I answer, it says "Call from _____. To accept press 1, to send to voicemail press 2." I believe it is a setting where you activate the caller must state their name. That will allow you to screen your calls without answering.

Originally posted by @Jacqueline Carrington :

I want to get a business number and was thinking of using Google Voice. When you receive GV calls on your cell phone, do you still also get calls from your regular phone number. For instance, if I had an iPhone through AT&T and my number ended in 1234 and I then got a GV number that ended in 6789, would I receive calls for both numbers on the same phone? If so, is it possible to tell (via caller ID or some other method) which number is ringing? I want a GV number for business to keep business and personal calls separate. But I don't want to answer my business number with an unprofessional "Hello". 

@Jason K Green

yes, just go to your google account, set up google voice and you can make it go through any phone or no phone.   You can change what phone it goes through at any time.   You have a google voice number that they call and it rings just like call forwarding to your cell or house phone. Your other calls come through too.  What you see is either the number they are calling or you can also set it to be the google voice number. 

I have a google voice account, but the functionality is limited. I also use and prefer Vumber. Excellent price, all the features I need and it's easy to use; the app is great as well.

@Kirky Galt , Can you please explain what is limited with GV that comes with a Vumber? I have just created my google voice account and considered Vumber, but I couldn't distinguish the difference between the two. I have just created a Podio account as well and am looking to track my leads through that site. Do you have experience with Podio?

Thanks, Cody

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you