Do handwritten "I buy houses" signs actually work?

10 Replies

I've noticed alot of bandit signs popping up around town with handwritten messages scribbled like "Houses for cash" "I buy houses" "Sell your house fast"...do these actually generate leads? They look so terrible.

I have received a lot of calls from bandit signs back when I was using them.  One of the problems is, that it is not targeted marketing and you'll receive an abundance of calls about properties with no equity or other issues that makes them properties that you are not interested in.  Fielding those calls takes up a lot of time, but it also gets your name out there.  Also, you really have to watch the laws and legality of the sign placement.

I used bandit signs 5/6 years ago. I had great luck with them. The market was a bit different then. You have to research with the city and see what rules/regulations they have for posting signs. Some cities will warn you not to leave bandit signs and some will fine you. I used to post the signs Friday after 6 pm and would go back late Sunday evenings to pick them up. Good luck!

I have seen a bunch of printed bandit signs popping up in my local area, I have no idea who is doing it, but It looks terrible in my opinion. I have no plans to go down that road to marketing my business.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you