List source VS prospect now

5 Replies

Regarding List Source-
How narrow do you get your direct mail marketing list and how?

Why use list source over prospect now?
I am trying to generate a list of home owners (owner occupies, absentee owner, probate, and those that may be in a position to sell) what advice do you have on getting those list narrow

AND do you use a website to do your direct mail or do you do it yourself??

@Matthew Rubsamen  

Hi Matthew - check out PropertyRadar.com.  Not sure if they service Colorado, but worth a look.  Super affordable and great info and they have a great mobile app too.  We use yellowletters.com to process all our direct mail.  You will find it is more efficient to let a service do it rather than try to do it consistently yourself.  The key word in that is CONSISTENTLY.  Pull a BIG list, then break up the mail drops so you have direct mail dropping every week or few weeks, depending on your budget.  Postcards are cheaper to mail than yellow letters, but potentially have a different response rate.  You can research BP all about that topic.

The list you pull depends on what you want your target lead list to be.  Property Radar will show you occupied and/or vacant or absentee vs other.  Just sign up and have a look around or watch their webinar training.  Good Luck!

Julie Clark / Seattle Investors Club

Disclosure: PropertyRadar Founder/CEO Sean O'Toole is a friend of mine and part of my mastermind group.

I continue to be impressed at what lists and segmenting can be created and downloaded by this app. The videos are very helpful and short for people like me with limited attention spans (!). 

Best thing is the very up-to-date foreclosure status, which I think still think about the best trigger that a would-be buyer can use to find motivated sellers with big problems.

@Matthew Rubsamen so why do you want a narrow list? A big list means big results. I am in a competitive market and didn't get any traction until I consistently mailed 6K per month. Everyone tries to slice and dice their lists down to save money. I carpet bomb to make sure no one gets missed. The people I know doing it consistently and successfully do that as well. While I have a few small small lists that have good prospects and bring me deals, there are not enough in my market to make a living with a small list. So my question is if you can generate a list of 500 that gives you one deal why not mail to 5,000 and do 10 deals. The cost of marketing is part of the cost of business. Sure you can whittle away at your costs but you make money when you do deals not when you trim your lists. That's my 2 cents anyway.

I use list source but as I mentioned it's a pretty simple list and could easily be generated via any number of other sites. My small lists are ones that I pay a VA to generate by doing specific research. These lists can't be bought.

Although propertyradar.com is by far and away the best for what you are looking to achieve, I am quite certain that they are not available in Colorado yet. Never hurts to check though :-)

You could also partner up with a real estate broker and get him or her to get a list from the title company, or perhaps you could go to a title company yourself. Although not as user-friendly as Property Radar, I am sure title company would be happy to provide an Excel spreadsheet for a nominal fee.  I would only use List Source if you feel like wasting money :)

thank you Bill. The money isn't the issue. It is simply time and sifting through 5000 properties is something I may not have time to do well however the VA idea is an option!

Thank you

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you