Trouble Building a List of Apartment Owners on ListSource

5 Replies

Hi! I'm trying to direct mail Apartment Owners in California. 

I purchased a list from ListSource looking for equity of -20% to 20% and 5-100 units but the data was not good. Almost HALF of the list included what seemed to be a ton of condo properties and owners - these people had the same mailing address as the property address and lived in units within a building, not a standalone house. I understand often times apartment owners live in their own buildings but the data is obviously screwy - I've attached a screenshot of data showing the Mailing & Property addresses & my search criteria as well.

I've read that some people recommend using the Property Detail field to mark off "Multi-Family." I tried that along with the rest of my critieria that I set and it only came out to about 15 properties, which I thought was absurd.

Can someone shed some light on what I'm doing wrong? Should I be using a different list generator?

Promotion
Sharestates
America's Private Lender
Receive Fix and Flip Funding Approval In As Little As 24 Hours!
Sharestates helps developers and brokers secure funding quickly with the most competitive terms.
Get Funded

@Gary A. County data tends to get real messy around multi-family, and so getting to a good list takes some reverse engineering. I like to start with a handful of "known good" properties, look at their data to see what they have in common, and then use that as my criteria. That can be a bit hard in listsource as it doesn't have an interface for looking at the details behind each property, but you can often still get there between it and the counties website. There are other alternatives too. ;-)

We've had success from finding regional publications geared towards MF owners or apartment owners associations... usually they'll have a free mailing list for members that you can access for cheaper than what that same list would cost from a list building service. 

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a site that I could search for property owners by the apartment name? I was trying to use the address in the county only it doesn't seem to find many of them.  I would even be willing to pay for a site subscription if it was reasonably  priced. 

What I did was build some software that scraped a few sites for section 8 apartments then I want to find the owner info so I can send them offer letters.  That might turn up some business. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you