Direct mail

8 Replies

Hello everyone, was just wondering how many people are doing Direct Mail? How many letters are you sending out on a weekly or monthly basis and what their return is?? 

Hello @Donny Minor !

Direct mail is actually pretty popular. The amount of pieces sent out at a time is largely dependent on two things: 

1) Your budget.

2) Your ability to answer/ return the calls you receive.

Sometimes it is difficult to determine the amount of calls you may expect, however knowing an average response rate may put you in the right direction. I know that the response rates are dependent on your market, competition, and even the marketing piece sent, however, over the years we have calculated an average response rate based on customer feedback as well as our own mailings. Here is what we have found:

Yellow Letters- average response rate of 8%-9%, all kinds of calls (angry calls, curious calls, tire-kickers, quality calls)

Postcards- average response rate of .5%, mostly quality calls.

Zip Letters- average response rate of 2%, mostly quality calls. (Great for follow ups)

Greeting Cards- average response rate of 2%, mostly quality calls. (Great for follow ups)

Again, these are just the averages we have seen, so the may vary in your market.

I hope this is helpful to you! Feel free to  PM me if I can help! Good luck!

I'm doing a direct mail campaign at the moment, I'm targeting around 1000 absentee, tax delinquent properties. I regrettably don't have the spare money for postage; so I'm hand delivering most of the local letters to the public mailing addresses of the property owners. The letters are professionally styled, with formal letterhead and hand signed. I haven't heard a lot about professional letters, I'd be interested to learn what success, or lack thereof, campaigns of this type have had. 

@Billy Davis

I got very low response rates using this approach. It could well have been the letter I used, it was very formal and might've intimidated/turned off prospects. It didn't have a big curiosity factor. I recently spent a few days creating self-made yellow letters that were much more casual and that appeared handwritten; with eye-catching stamps. The yellow letters have gotten a much higher response rate. I can't give you a percentage, but it's notably higher than the self-delivered formal letter method. I'm big on cutting costs and keeping things as inexpensive as possible, and I was able to get 500 letters out for .55 cents a letter using dollar store legal pads and envelopes. My costs would've been a bit higher had I not used connections who allowed me to use their printing facilities. 

It was a total pain to get the letters formatted correctly, took me hours, but it's worth it to get a system in place that's cheaper than the other options out there. I'd imagine it takes much longer without office printing facilities that have printers that spit out 60 letters and envelopes an hour. 

Updated over 4 years ago

60 letter/envelopes a minute**

Hey Michael,

Can you share the details on the formatting?  Amazon has Yellow Lined Paper for $11 for 250 sheets, and I was looking at that route versus outsourcing, but the formatting issue was a concern.  Thanks in advance.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you