• Flipper/Rehabber
  • Wooster, OH
Votes |
Creating a website

Jill Johns
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Wooster, OH
Posted May 26 2016, 06:09

Hi there. So I've (we've) been a member here at BP for a couple weeks now, but I've kind of been MIA for the last week or so. I've finished reading the Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing and I'll soon be starting into The Book on Flipping Houses & The Book on Estimating Rehab Costs. There is so much to read & so many podcasts I want to watch... but we're about out of data on our internet plan for the month. I'm trying to find another reliable source for internet, but we're in the sticks & there is not a lot available yet (? hopefully that will change).

In the meantime, after reading the Beginner's Guide, I have some questions about creating a website. Not so much how or where, I have a friend who gives me some guidance on IT type things & there was a lot of info on that in the book, plus I've always dabbled in computer tech type stuff for several years now. Mostly my questions are around this type of subject...

We've started out, on maybe not the best path (the financial situation is not one I'm proud of right now), into the real estate investing venture & what little investing we've done is with a Simple IRA that's been self directed (through a set-up that I'm yet not entirely cracked on... still looking into other options there too). Basically all of the investments through that, we have been guided on by the custodial company. Outside of the retirement fund, we've really not done a thing yet.

So I understand the significance of having a website, but what do I "say" on this website?  What I mean is, I feel like it's slightly more than stretching the truth if I create a website with an "about us" page that sounds like we actually do the things that, as of this point, we only want to do (but we're working hard on finding the right deal, the financial backing, the way to put it all together from purchases to sale, etc.).

I guess my anxiety lies in the details of nearly every aspect of investing. I'm essentially going to be the "office guy" and Dave is the guy who goes out & meets folks & will get the deals flowing. That much we do know about our operation. That being said, I know I don't have to make everything perfect in setting up, for instance, the website. But at the same time, I don't want to sound like a complete imbecile & shoot my own foot before we really even get started. What type of information should I actually try to put out there on a website?

Is there any material here on BP that anyone can post a link to as a response to me? Perhaps there are links to podcasts in the Beginner's Guide that I just haven't been able to view yet... I will watch a few, but may have to wait until after June 1st to watch as many as I really want to.

Thanks all...

Jill

Loading replies...