Online Marketing VS Direct Mail

32 Replies

@Joshua Howaniec InvestorCarrot is a paid lead generation website, which is generally speaking feature rich for the vast majority of tasks you want to perform. Blogging, lead generation set-up, posting videos, sidebars. It's simple, and that's the beauty. Now, contrast that with creating a custom site: find a web programmer, hope he is pretty good and doesn't create spaghetti code, when something changes or breaks have to deal with that person again. I've often wondered if I switch off InvestorCarrot - would I quickly come to regret that the decision because I simply don't have the time to baby-sit a website (IC site also requires a fair amount of baby-sitting). Custom site also could run you anywhere from $500 to $5,000 depending who you talk to. Price tag of $1,000 to $2,000 seems pretty fair since the site would be pretty basic.

IC is fairy cheap at like $50 or so per month, they have excellent customer service. For example, I've been expanding to my YouTube channel quite a bit. I ran into a quirk where I just couldn't associate my website with my youtube channel - so I couldn't create "end pages" or "annotations" linking to my website and YouTube video testimonials. I spoke with IC - bam - 1 hour, they had a tutorial, it was linked up. Same issue with Facebook conversions - I tried over and over to get the Facebook conversions to come up on the Facebook tracking page. I eventually connected with a knowledgeable guy at IC and he went right into the website, fixed it up - bam - all connected. 

InvestorCarrot also has a weekly "mastermind" conference where you can go and ask questions. To be honest, it usually isn't something I necessarily hadn't learned before, but just sitting there for the mastermind forced me to re-consider various aspects (particularly my relevance score). I kind of knew in the back of my mind that needed to happen, but the conference really solidified it. I started changing my ads around, I went from relevance score 2 to 8 and 9. As a matter of perspective, 2 is awful and 8 to 9 is very strong (relevance score is essentially you need to pay more to get more of some action because FB views you're ad strategy as not engaging to the customer). I was pretty excited about my 8 to 9 scores and I'm applying the lessons I learned on those 8/9 across the rest of my FB marketing to track if it's an aberration but my initial reaction is the tailoring of the message, content, and audience made the difference. 

InvestorCarrot also has content packs you can post to your website and ways to modify them to make them city specific blogging articles. I don't really use though (I'd rather create unique content more aimed towards my entire marketing plan then copy and paste "hey 5 moving tips!"). Even though I don't use, I have seen websites that do use and currently rank higher than me for what that's worth. That said, I haven't necessarily been SEO consistent the last year and next 6-months I want to go all in on the SEO.

Given that I have staff ready to answer the phone essentially around the clock, I would like a LiveChat option. I've also seen some websites where the mouse scrolls in a certain direction (towards closing) it opens a pop-up. IC doesn't offer advanced features like that for what it's worth. I have requested, and I wouldn't say ignored, but not implemented. I did get an offer to provide some of my own coding, but if it's a wordpress site that doesn't use wordpress plug-ins - what's the point of wordpress?

Originally posted by @Lucas Machado :

@Joshua Howaniec InvestorCarrot is a paid lead generation website, which is generally speaking feature rich for the vast majority of tasks you want to perform. Blogging, lead generation set-up, posting videos, sidebars. It's simple, and that's the beauty. Now, contrast that with creating a custom site: find a web programmer, hope he is pretty good and doesn't create spaghetti code, when something changes or breaks have to deal with that person again. I've often wondered if I switch off InvestorCarrot - would I quickly come to regret that the decision because I simply don't have the time to baby-sit a website (IC site also requires a fair amount of baby-sitting). Custom site also could run you anywhere from $500 to $5,000 depending who you talk to. Price tag of $1,000 to $2,000 seems pretty fair since the site would be pretty basic.

IC is fairy cheap at like $50 or so per month, they have excellent customer service. For example, I've been expanding to my YouTube channel quite a bit. I ran into a quirk where I just couldn't associate my website with my youtube channel - so I couldn't create "end pages" or "annotations" linking to my website and YouTube video testimonials. I spoke with IC - bam - 1 hour, they had a tutorial, it was linked up. Same issue with Facebook conversions - I tried over and over to get the Facebook conversions to come up on the Facebook tracking page. I eventually connected with a knowledgeable guy at IC and he went right into the website, fixed it up - bam - all connected. 

InvestorCarrot also has a weekly "mastermind" conference where you can go and ask questions. To be honest, it usually isn't something I necessarily hadn't learned before, but just sitting there for the mastermind forced me to re-consider various aspects (particularly my relevance score). I kind of knew in the back of my mind that needed to happen, but the conference really solidified it. I started changing my ads around, I went from relevance score 2 to 8 and 9. As a matter of perspective, 2 is awful and 8 to 9 is very strong (relevance score is essentially you need to pay more to get more of some action because FB views you're ad strategy as not engaging to the customer). I was pretty excited about my 8 to 9 scores and I'm applying the lessons I learned on those 8/9 across the rest of my FB marketing to track if it's an aberration but my initial reaction is the tailoring of the message, content, and audience made the difference. 

InvestorCarrot also has content packs you can post to your website and ways to modify them to make them city specific blogging articles. I don't really use though (I'd rather create unique content more aimed towards my entire marketing plan then copy and paste "hey 5 moving tips!"). Even though I don't use, I have seen websites that do use and currently rank higher than me for what that's worth. That said, I haven't necessarily been SEO consistent the last year and next 6-months I want to go all in on the SEO.

Given that I have staff ready to answer the phone essentially around the clock, I would like a LiveChat option. I've also seen some websites where the mouse scrolls in a certain direction (towards closing) it opens a pop-up. IC doesn't offer advanced features like that for what it's worth. I have requested, and I wouldn't say ignored, but not implemented. I did get an offer to provide some of my own coding, but if it's a wordpress site that doesn't use wordpress plug-ins - what's the point of wordpress?

Great response @josh .  Josh I think I might have met you at the Dennys meetup in hollywood.  I have a rental in hollywood, FL. I am from Los Angeles though I only go out there to visit.  

Where I'm at, coastal SoCal, there's not a lot of great deals, and tons of competition, so this is just another way to generate leads outside of direct mailing (which has been dismal), and my network/MLS out here.

I'm trying to choose between InvestorCarrot and LeadPropellor.  It's for my California leads.  (Los Angeles, OC and Inland Empire).

IC sounds full of content and customer support. What I like about LeadPropeller is that it is cheaper and seems to have more features like the REI investor tools. I feel like once I have it all set up I'm not going to want to invest much time into it, and therefore would rather have a cheaper option.

I'm not really sure though, does anyone use both or has compared them?

Updated over 4 years ago

Actually leadpropeller is not cheaper... just found out they bumped pricing up

Any recommendations for how to mail out postcards?  I've used vistaprint before and some other direct print/ mail sites and was wondering about the cheapest.  Where I can just import excel spreadsheets for mailing it out direct

And what the Price per Postcard + shipping is

I currently use Lead Propeller and like the user interface; but if you search on all the top lead generating google searches, majority of them are IC sites. I haven't nor do I want to put that much effort into ramping up my SEO but I have seen a lot of success from wholesalers using IC.

I have used several direct mail websites and I have found GoBigPrinting to have a fast turn around time and their data uploads let you map and preview fields which is comforting for me.

Funny how 5 years later the problems with direct mail are the same and the power of digital marketing has only grown. So many of our Investors are dropping the old offline marketing approach because their organic online lead flow is driving non stop opportunities for them. 

Originally posted by @Shawn Tiberio :

Funny how 5 years later the problems with direct mail are the same and the power of digital marketing has only grown. So many of our Investors are dropping the old offline marketing approach because their organic online lead flow is driving non stop opportunities for them. 

And you know what is NOT funny??

THIS!!

Mr. Shawn I would appreciate it for you to stop stealing my content and then SELLING it to your clients. That is the LAMEST form of doing business!

Before you even dare to retaliate you have several websites for your clients you claim is "your design" when it is absolutely not.

And here is MY original written by JERRYLL NOORDEN content:

Do you understand that we will not just sue you, but ALL your clients as well! This is your friendly warning to please stop! And please remove stolen content from your clients websites. Not cool man. Want to become credible as an SEO marketer, don't do it by stealing my content and pretend it is you that came up with it!

Seriously please stop it. Thanks.

Originally posted by @Manuel Ramirez :

@Shawn Tiberio daaaaaamn. @Jerryll Noorden caught you with your pants down 🤦

It is bad enough when INVESTORS copy my website. Then owners of SEO agencies copy my website for themselves (WHY are you claiming you own an SEO agency when you are so bad at it you have to copy my website?! Damn dudes)...  I invite you to be better than me. Beat me, trump me, be smarter than me, I challenge you all... just don't steal my work people. Thats friggin lame!

and the WORST kind of all, agencies that STEAL my damn content and SELL it to others telling their clients it is THEIR work.

ZERO tolerance for that crap. I  mean seriously... how can you live with yourself. How would YOU feel working so hard to become successful and then someone else just taking it, selling it, making money from your work AND taking credit for it.

LOWEST of the damn low!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you