Code Violations (Memphis)

15 Replies

Hello All,

Quick question for the Memphis and Shelby County Tennessee marketers if there are any that use the information.  Does anyone know the steps for getting a list of code violations from the city?  Supposedly all cities should provide this as public record by law according to the Freedom of Information Act, but I'm getting the run-around.  Does anyone know where to locate this?

Did you try to go downtown to get the list? 

Originally posted by @Cometria Taylor :

Did you try to go downtown to get the list? 

I was actually headed to code enforcement tomorrow.  I gave a couple of their offices a call and nobody seemed to know what I was talking about after getting transferred a bunch of times.  Where would it be downtown?

Building permits.  The problem is upside-down.  The inspectors use the building codes and when not followed, they issue a citation or violation.  That means the number of possible violations == number of building codes - - just buy the book.

This post has been removed.

Judge Potter will be there ...

@Ryan Barnett strangest thing, but I got that MIG code enforcement email literally 5 minutes after I posted this topic.  I saw it was for the women's focus group though.  Didn't know if the guys were welcomed.

Yeah...We are.    They just want it to be known that Woman started that group.    I think it says in there Men and Members/Non- Members are welcome.....LOL

Originally posted by @Ryan Barnett :

Yeah...We are.    They just want it to be known that Woman started that group.    I think it says in there Men and Members/Non- Members are welcome.....LOL

Do you plan on going?

@ Michael Hayes - I will not make it tomorrow.   Hope to see you at some MIG meeting or sub group sometie though Michael.

Every group I've been to is always welcoming.   I wouldn't worry about it. Just register so they know how many folks are coming....

@Ryan Barnett Of course.  I'm at most of the regular meetings.  Haven't been able to go to the sub groups until now since I just decided to go full-time on real estate.  Give me a shout next meeting you go to and we'll talk business.

To obtain code enforcement violation lists, I've worked deals with employees of the actual code force and was happily given leads this way. It's amazing what a free burger meal (from my c-store) will do! lol 

Good luck! 

Originally posted by @Michael Hayes :

Hello All,

Quick question for the Memphis and Shelby County Tennessee marketers if there are any that use the information.  Does anyone know the steps for getting a list of code violations from the city?  Supposedly all cities should provide this as public record by law according to the Freedom of Information Act, but I'm getting the run-around.  Does anyone know where to locate this?

Hello Micheal

Let me try to chime in and help out. In California code enforcement issue code violations. They could be different violations from Health and Safety code or even city ordinates.

This is what you should do if you want to know what they are or to correct them. 

Stop by the building department where they issue permits. Tell the counter person you want a permit for (address in question). They will tell you what you need to do to correct the problem. Usually they will be a HOLD or STOP work for the address.  Normally, if it was code enforcement they have a CE case open and then it is get referred to the building department. You can ask to speak with the Code enforcement officer and get his feedback.

The CE case will describe what the code violation were for the address.  Example: Unpermitted bathroom remodel, Un-Permitted Kitchen remodel, Etc, 

At this time you can ask to get a permit for the code violation in question. Then schedule a consultation with a building inspector to get guidance on what they want fixed.

Good luck!

@Ryan Barnett thanks but I've actually already combed through that site with no luck.  Looks like I won't be able to make it to the meeting tonight, so I'll probably be visiting code enforcement tomorrow.

@Rashard Alomari looks like its time for me to make some new friends.  Trying to think if I already know anyone that works there.  I use to be up there pretty often.

@Taye N. thanks but I don't have a specific address in mind.  Actually trying to obtain a list with the addresses of all properties in the city with code violations.

Somehow other posters are mis-reading the original poster's request. He wants to know how to obtain a list of Code Violators in the Memphis area.

Here's where is gets tricky:

There are about (21) different organizational models of code enforcement departure nets that I've counted, so far. This means that some are stand alone agencies, some are part of community development, building & safety, police, etc. Also, Vector Control and similar municipal and county agencies with separate budgets can be involved.

Then you've got the political aspects and the "political will" of each agency to make information public. It's surprisingly inconsistent. 

Here in CA most municipal code enforcement agencies will give you the runaround if you ask for a list of violators and require some escalation of FOIA to force releasing, at some expense. Curiously, the City of Los Angeles publishes their fresh list on a regular basis online as a PDF file. 

Alternatively, you can pull some information from county recorder, however that will typically be a situation that has escalated from administrative citation to a legal action far beyond tall weeds and broken windows.

Few will ever venture beyond their first "no" from a clerk. The successful investor will not give up and be a persistent list builder.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.