how to find a property

1 Reply

hello. im looking for a relatively simple way to gather, sort and filter large numbers of properties, from zillow as an example. any way i can enter a zipcode, and pull all the property data into an excel sheet or something where i can sort it , filter it down to what im looking for, and then act on it. 

im wanting to start getting more into the BRRR strategy, but there are just so many properties to sort through, where do i start ? how do i filter out the noise, down to what im looking for.

thanks for the information.

i'd narrow it down before you start looking. 

the easiest place to start is within a few miles of where you live. use your local realestate website and find a neighborhood that you think you could afford to invest in. 

then search that area for ways to buy cheap and rent high. 

• step 1 should get a realter and make them work for you, they can email you lists based on certain criteria
    • pick a sub-division
    • pick a property type (3 bed 2 bath ~1500 sq feet)
    • pick a price that won't bury you (50-110K)
    • new on the market properties

give that to your realter

then sort through the results they send you. do some research and make some obnoxious lowball offers on a few properties. 

looking at the county appraisal and you see how long these people have owned their house,

if longer than 10 years, then offer the price they paid 10 years ago... or lower if it need rehab work.

or check out some tax sales in your area, maybe you'll get lucky - https://cobbtax.org/taxsalelist

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.