Grand Rapids, MI. Are there bad areas?

4 Replies

I'm planning to buy a place in Grand Rapids, MI to live in and was just wondering if there are any areas to avoid?
Thanks in advance!

@Nick Pearson there are some places that I would avoid but some also what I would say are "up and coming."
I am a local realtor that works with investors and investment properties. I would love to help you out if you'd like!
God Bless.

@Kati Ross - Thanks for the quick reply! I would very much appreciate your help with learning the area. What is the best way to get ahold of you to learn more? I'm kinda new to the bp stuff.

@Nick Pearson  I just sent you a colleague request so I can get you my information!

Hi! Welcome to GR! I guess it depends on what you're looking for in a neighborhood. Downtown is seeing lots of revitalization right now within the historic neighborhoods, very walkable with that "hip" vibe. The GR public schools are not great though. The SE side probably has the worst neighborhoods, especially south of Franklin St. and west of Fuller Ave. Burton St. and Division Ave. area i would not even buy a rental property in. There are also some sketchy parts on the SW side as well. Looks like you made a connection already with a good Realtor in the area. I think that will be your best avenue to find what you are looking for. GR is a great city! Other than the weather sometimes, I think you will like it here! Good luck!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.