Last name on Direct Mail?

8 Replies

I'm sending out a few hundred yellow letters to multiple neighborhoods about 15 minutes from where I live.  This is our first direct mail campaign and we're hoping to get one rental out of it.  My question is, should I include my last name in the return address?  We have a P.O. box so my personal address won't be on it, but my fear is that someone could look up where I live if I include my last name.  Am I being overly cautious, or is this a legitimate concern?  What do most people include in their letters/envelopes?

I'd have to ask....have you segmented your market area so that those "few hundred" are being directed to the best prospects. If you are just blanketing the area you are hitting too many address's that are not prospects. Some questions you need to know are: with each address you send to......what are their length of residence, ages, children, occupation, are they themselves also investors, do they maybe have a low credit score or high, networth, income, etc.  You can  then narrow down the statistical probability of them doing business with you.

You can blanket an area....but you are just throwing mud against the wall...to see what sticks.

This post has been removed.

I don't include mine and I get a typical call back rate. 

I would suggest changing the PO Box to a street address. Use the post offices physical address and use your box as a suite number. Looks better. 

@Mark Wolffer I am driving for dollars and then checking on when they purchased their home. All the homes on my list are distressed looking and have plenty of equity, assuming they didn't pull any out. I also made sure they were homes I'd want to hold as rentals.

shoot me over a couple of your prime address's...I"ll look them up on my database and respond, if you'd like.

I'd include your name. I do on all of my pieces. I've sent out more mail than most guys over the years. I've never had someone knock on my door. 

@David Hodge  I include my name for my mailers.  However, I was at the OREIA meeting this weekend and one of the speakers said having a females name on the return address has yielded better results.  I am going to try to put my fiance's name on the return address and in the letter state you may get Christian or Brooke.  I thought it was an interesting tip.  

Good luck!

Thank you all for the responses! @Christian Bors s I agree that seems like it would help. I actually mention in the letter that my wife and I are looking for buy a house... I'm hoping it shows that we are a real couple and not just some faceless business.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here