HOW / WHERE CAN I GET PROBATE LEADS?

15 Replies

HOW / WHERE CAN I GET PROBATE LEADS?

I invest in the upstate of SC. Any suggestions on HOW / WHERE CAN I GET PROBATE LEADS?

Thanks in advance.

Alex McGhee

@Alex McGhee every county and every state is different. They are public records, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're easy to access. Call your county clerk of court and they can lead you in the right direction. As far as purchasing leads, I don't know a reliable source. 

@Alex McGhee I highly suggest calling around to a couple of attorneys who handle probates specifically. Not only will they provide you leads, but you'll also know how far along the leads are in the process of being deeded to a living family member. I am in South Carolina also and have extensive experience dealing with purchasing and selling properties with title issues. A lot of times the process will start, but there's no telling when it will complete due to uncooperative family members. I've heard of properties being tied up in probate for over five years in my area. I think it might be better to target an inherited list. I used a gentleman last year who was able to provide about 500 leads in the counties I work in so I know that he can get leads in South Carolina. You can check his website out here. He's a little slow with responding so you may need to message him a couple of times if you don't get a response from him within a day or two. Also, inherited leads can be a toss-up with what you'll find. Some of them may have high mortgages attached to them or the families may have no intentions of ever selling the properties. It's a solid list worth marketing to, nonetheless.

@Alex McGhee -- Below may help you get started:

Stage 1: Educate Yourself on the Probate Process

Step 1: Spend 1 Hour Reading about the Probate Process in Your State

o If property does not go into a Trust then it goes to the Probate process

o Google your state’s probate process and educate yourself

Step 2: Practice Explaining the Process to Someone

Stage 2: Get the Probate List

Step 1: Find Location of Probate Records at the County Courthouse or Town/City Hall

Step 2: Search for the Probate listings on the Computer, Day Book, or files

Step 3: If your courthouse has a computer system Record Volume and Page Numbers in Excel

Step 4: Pull Volume & Page for more Detailed Information. If by non-computer pull the files

Step 5: Record & Build Probate Mailing List

o The estate of, the date of, place where last dwelled (that is the subject property). The executor/fiduciary/guarantee is where the direct mail goes to.

Step 6: Doing the actual direct mail

Once you get understand what you are doing, document each step and systematize it. You can hire someone to pull local leads for you and you can outsource the direct mail as well. 

@Alex McGhee I am not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but if the access to online probate court by case number or last name of the deceased is unavailable, then a viable option is http://www.usprobateleads.com that I have used before. That is if money is not an obstacle... If it is an obstacle, might be cheaper for you to go to the courthouse and learn the ropes that way. 

Hope that helps. PM if you want more info.

The courthouse would be your first stop, and the least expensive. 

If you want to get easier and faster access to the data, US Prodate leads (mentioned above), Probate Data, and a few other companies have monthly services that I use

Originally posted by @Ryan C. :

@Shawn Morey How has your success been with this service/leads? Would love to hear of your process/strategy around these mailings and touch points.

Hey Ryan!

Honestly we have been too busy with other lead sources, and with how the market has been that I cut back on probate leads. I need to start ramping it up again and I would love to brainstorm with you. I can breakdown the service I used, how I had my VA scrub and pull the leads I wanted and the touches I made.

Originally posted by @Shawn Morey :
Originally posted by @Ryan Coleman:

@Shawn Morey How has your success been with this service/leads? Would love to hear of your process/strategy around these mailings and touch points.

Hey Ryan!

Honestly we have been too busy with other lead sources, and with how the market has been that I cut back on probate leads. I need to start ramping it up again and I would love to brainstorm with you. I can breakdown the service I used, how I had my VA scrub and pull the leads I wanted and the touches I made.

When I first read this post a long long time ago, I wanted to reply with... WHY are you  specifically after probate leads?

I would never do this unless you have a seriously valid reason.

I don't care what my lead is as long as they are motivated.

We don't discriminate. A good lead is just that... a good lead.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you