Owner Hunt from Returned Yellow Letters

6 Replies

Hey there BP!

I have been sending out some standard yellow letters addressed to foreclosures, absentee owners, and several properties identified through driving local neighborhoods.  I have had several letters "returned to sender" due to several reasons:

Insufficient address...

Not deliverable as addressed...

No such number...

These addresses were taken off public notices and verified through county records so I need to re-double check the issue there.

However several have been returned due to "no forwarding address."  Obviously a vacant home.  I can't seem to track down any info on who has control of these properties.  Several appear worthy of further investigation and numbers are looking good (without inspection or being inside).  Several are listed for auction, coming up within a month or two.  County records report the name I have put on the addressed letters but apparently with no forwarding address they are not reaching anyone worth calling me.  I am at a road block with these.  

Does anyone have any advise for me on how to track down more contact information for these properties and get my name and number in front of someone who could potentially contact me about getting a discussion going with these?

I'd go to the county assessor's site and type in the address of the vacant property. Someone has to be on title. If nonowner occupied their mailing address should be listed on title. If owner occupied, but vacant you will have to try and skip trace, or some other method I am not aware of. Maybe take some cookies to the neighbors and ask if they have a phone number?

http://www.adacountyassessor.org/propsys/TermsCond...

The skip trace portion of the search is the issue I am having.  Looks like I might have to start refining my baking skills!!!  

Thank you for your response and input @Pete Perez

Hey Brad, I happen to do skip tracing on the side for these kinds of situations. Message me and I can see how I can help you

@Brad Allison Id have to agree with the advice @Pete Perez gave! Hiring a skip tracer to find the information may be cheaper than spending time and a few dollars whipping up a batch of cookies. What if they neighbors have a food allergy?? Im kidding PM if you have any questions on skip tracing Id be happy to learn more i may be able to help. 

@Ethan Summers

lol damn food allergies. Forgot about those! 

@Pete Perez Just looking out for a fellow REI investor! Wouldn't want your cookie recipe to get subpoenaed!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here