Bandit Sign Legality in Montgomery County, MD.

4 Replies

I see lots of bandit signs for various companies around my area. But, as I look into the actual laws in my area it seems that for each sign you need to file an individual permit as well as there being a time limit on the signs (2 weeks.)

It's hard for me to believe that these companies take the time to file a separate permit for each sign because, on a 15-20 minute drive, I see about 20-30 of the same sign for the same company. And if in that short drive I see that many then they must have thousands place around the county.

So is there something I'm overlooking? Do companies just not care about the laws and accept the fines? Are bandit sign fines just not enforced? Is it safe for me to use bandit signs and just hope the fuzz don't come knocking? LOL.

Thanks,
Tyler Scott

@Tyler Scott There was a Court Case that said cities can't limit bandit signs if they allow political signs. Also, the "sign police" will call and tell you to remove the signs if they become a problem. It's one of those cases where it is better to ask forgiveness than for permission.

Reed v. Town of Gilbert, Arizona
Docket No. Op. Below Argument Opinion Vote Author Term
13-502 9th Cir. Jan 12, 2015
Tr.Aud.
Jun 18, 2015 9-0 Thomas OT 2014

Holding: The provisions of a municipality’s sign code that impose more stringent restrictions on signs directing the public to the meeting of a non-profit group than on signs conveying other messages are content-based regulations of speech that cannot survive strict scrutiny.

Judgment: Reversed and remanded, 9-0, in an opinion by Justice Thomas on June 18, 2015. Justice Alito filed a concurring opinion in which Justices Kennedy and Sotomayor joined. Justice Breyer filed an opinion concurring in the judgment. Justice Kagan filed an opinion concurring in the judgment, in which Justices Ginsburg and Breyer joined.

Originally posted by @Sylvia Gravitt :

@Tyler Scott what has your experience with bandit signs in MoCo been since your post? I’m wondering if I’ll get fined for putting using them. Thanks!

It doesn't even matter what his/her experience is.

If you saw a bandit sign on the street and it said "We are Nike, please buy our shoes".

Woudl you seriously believe it was Nike? No right? Nike a "real" and "legitimate" and "credible" company wouldn't do friggin shady bandit sins.

You are damaging your company image.

"If you were a real good and successful company, you wouldn't put out bandit signs". That is what I would think, and this is what the general public thinks. You are destroying your reputation as a brand and as a company.

If bandit signs "worked", Nike would do it too! As well as Apple, Microsoft etc. etc.

Do it the right way, have pride in your business and dominate!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you