Facebook and Instagram Ads

33 Replies

Anyone out there dove into Facebook and Instagram Ads? I hear a lot about Facebook Ads but Instagram has recently caught on to the trend. I have had a good experience with Instagram Ads on the receiving end - just wanted to read some additional input!

Thanks guys.

@Samuel Watts as far as rental marketing goes I get way more interest with Facebook marketing...but much "higher quality interest" anywhere else (zillow, trulia, etc).  If I get 25 Facebook inquiries I've found that maybe 3 are worth consideration.  The major upside to Facebook marketing in my opinion is you have an instant first impression of the folks that are inquiring and pretty much know immediately which ones to totally ignore.

I run both and pickup motivated seller leads for wholesaling. Most come from facebook as the user age there is a little higher than instagram typically. At least that's my guess as to the reason, doesn't really matter where they come from as long as they're coming in though lol. 

Originally posted by @Matt Cramer :

I run both and pickup motivated seller leads for wholesaling. Most come from facebook as the user age there is a little higher than instagram typically. At least that's my guess as to the reason, doesn't really matter where they come from as long as they're coming in though lol. 

Matt, would you mind sharing a sample of the kind of ad you're running on FB?  I've been doing a lot of cold-calling, but I'm looking to expand my funnel to include FB ads, but I'm not sure about the best format I should use for the ad.  Any advice, from anyone, for that matter, would be very welcome!  Thanks!

Sorry if I have hijacked this thread.  I just realized that I am getting a click through rate of about $0.70.... have spent about $302 so far this month to push 435 clicks through to my page.  But no leads....  Well one, but I think that was probably SEO/organic.

So might be I need to focus more on tightening up my content/credibility on the page.  I do have a carrot site, and I have tried to customize it, but I understand more is needed.  Feels like I got a big hole in my bucket.

And strangely, I don't show anywhere near 435 page landings.  Maybe FB is counting clicks to my FB page and not really clicks to my site.  Actually, I see now in the definitions that this is true.  I need to be measuring 'outbound clicks'....  so my cost per outbound click is $1.48 so far this month, with a little over 200 outbound clicks (this is closer to what my page is reporting but still higher).  Still not sure if that is good more or bad. 

Could be I am simply attracting curious people, not motivated people or those that are not (yet) actively looking for a solution.  That is likely the nature of the FB ad medium.  Might be just a function of staying in front of them.  

Would be useful to compare notes with others that are actually making headway and getting leads.

Originally posted by @Mark Sewell :

Sorry if I have hijacked this thread.  I just realized that I am getting a click through rate of about $0.70.... have spent about $302 so far this month to push 435 clicks through to my page.  But no leads....  Well one, but I think that was probably SEO/organic.

So might be I need to focus more on tightening up my content/credibility on the page.  I do have a carrot site, and I have tried to customize it, but I understand more is needed.  Feels like I got a big hole in my bucket.

And strangely, I don't show anywhere near 435 page landings.  Maybe FB is counting clicks to my FB page and not really clicks to my site.  Actually, I see now in the definitions that this is true.  I need to be measuring 'outbound clicks'....  so my cost per outbound click is $1.48 so far this month, with a little over 200 outbound clicks (this is closer to what my page is reporting but still higher).  Still not sure if that is good more or bad. 

Could be I am simply attracting curious people, not motivated people or those that are not (yet) actively looking for a solution.  That is likely the nature of the FB ad medium.  Might be just a function of staying in front of them.  

Would be useful to compare notes with others that are actually making headway and getting leads.

yup indeed. Be sure you do not set "clicks" as the goal to your campaign. You need to measure cost /conversion.

sadly with paid marketing things get a little bit less obvious when it comes to analyzing.

Take our site for example.

For that week we got over 30 leads but the conversion rate is just 5%. And that is quite a high conversion rate for us. Usually our conversion rate is 3% which is horrible compared to "normal" sites.

Look at this one:

Here although you can not see it, our conversion rate for that week was 2%.

To the unexpected marketer they would say "Wow your site sucks".

(Blasphemy I know,.. damn rookie). But look what is going on. Look at the time on page. our average time on page is between 8 and 11 minutes. (Our competitors are between 3 and 15 seconds).

What is going on?

Well first WHO cares about conversion rate?! It is about the number of conversions!  30 leads a week is not too bad I think for absolutely 0 marketing. 

But the point here is this.

When you do forced traffic (paid ads), you do not know if they are even motivated sellers at all. So the fact that they do not convert may not at all be because of your content. Maybe they are just not motivated. Maybe you are targeting the wrong audience, and before you say "no man I set my sliders and knobs the right way".. to which I will reply, OFTEN investors THINK and are fully convinced their sliders are set the right way.. but they are not. Like you said, maybe you are attracting curious people

Be careful what KPI's you measure and set in your feedbackloop to change your site. I personally think the best site to measure data from is not an AWESOME #1 ranking website, but just a good #3 or #4 ranking website. The traffic to those sites are more likely from very motivated sellers that are desperate enough to venture to the 4th result on google.

My site is HORRIBLE to track data because everyone is stalking me to see how I generate so many leads so everyone is on my site studying and copying my every damn stinking move. So how do I know if my traffic is from fellow investors stealing all my secrets or from actual motivated sellers? You don't really know. 

Hey you don't need to convince me.  I have been talking quite a bit about getting some video content to help reduce the bounces.  The trick is figuring out the content, what is it about ME or US (my wife and I) that makes us interesting....?

Right now I feel like I can point to a fair cost of click and I can see people coming to the page, but they are bouncing.  Very few leads being converted.  So I have a leaky bucket.  

Great point about the third or fourth ranked site.  I do think I am getting less than motivated/not-optimal folks visiting.

Dude, lets connect and I will give you a site evaluation and give you some solid pointers what to change how to change and what to definitely delete. Don't see this as me telling you that you are doing it wrong .. just trying to help as I am quite good at it. (not that you aren't ) :)

I'll flip the coin and say I'm against all the ads on Facebook and Instagram. The advertising is out of control on these two platforms. We lost the battle though because social media runs the world. It's why direct mail/cold calling is dead for the most part.

@Jaron Walling nobody's opinion is wrong in this discussion.  People hate the ads on TV sometimes, but they work.  For me, running ads on FB is like trawling the whole ocean for just 2 or 3 kinds of fish.  So you have to go broad, and do it cost-effectively, using video.  Then you retarget those views.  Almost 75% of my FB clicks to my site are coming from a retargetting ad of some kind.  Then, once they visit, they are getting retargeted again.  You just have to warm them up and move them through the funnel.  90% of them aren't real leads, I am guessing, but that's OK.  Still beats mail.

SEO is the better way, without question.  FB and mail and whatever else is just a way to augment that.  Just get them to visit the site and retarget from there.  

Now if you aren't putting quality content up on that site, then there isn't much utility in spending your ad budget to drive your audience there.

@Ethan Fisher

They can be even more powerful when combined with funnels. Either clickfunnels or phonesites or both. Bring in a lot of leads, clients, tenants. Whatever your looking for business wise. Build landing pages. It's easy and fairly inexpensive. 

Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden :

Dude, lets connect and I will give you a site evaluation and give you some solid pointers what to change how to change and what to definitely delete. Don't see this as me telling you that you are doing it wrong .. just trying to help as I am quite good at it. (not that you aren't ) :)

I may need to take you up on that sir.  For now I have a short list of well-defined items on my to-do list that I need to work on, and actually today is my day to be working on it!!

What totally eludes me, however, is how do people get quality backlinks?

Originally posted by @Jaron Walling :

I'll flip the coin and say I'm against all the ads on Facebook and Instagram. The advertising is out of control on these two platforms. We lost the battle though because social media runs the world. It's why direct mail/cold calling is dead for the most part.

You didn't lose the battle brother. I fully agree with you. FB will get you clicks sure.. but will they get you a solid acceptable cost / conversion? That is the question. (compared to SEO.. I think not)

Originally posted by @Mark Sewell :
Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:

I may need to take you up on that sir.  For now I have a short list of well-defined items on my to-do list that I need to work on, and actually today is my day to be working on it!!

What totally eludes me, however, is how do people get quality backlinks?

OK man. No rush. 

Backlinks:

Just do HARO, and start writing 2 blogs. And just write awesome content. The trick here is not to really please your traffic, but please people that have other sites that benefit from your content. THOSE people will link to that content. If you can please normal traffic too, even better!

Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden :

My site is HORRIBLE to track data because everyone is stalking me to see how I generate so many leads so everyone is on my site studying and copying my every damn stinking move. So how do I know if my traffic is from fellow investors stealing all my secrets or from actual motivated sellers? You don't really know. 

I'm a stalker--can confirm. Some of that was me :)

Originally posted by @Maximilian Marck :
Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:

I'm a stalker--can confirm. Some of that was me :)

ha ha ha, stalk away my man. Reach out if you need personalized pointers!

I like facebook. I use a form that is zapped into my CRM and the prospect instantly begins getting info and my call center calls. 

Only about 25% of the forms are solid leads however they average less then 22.00 a lead so I am fine with the spend. The other thing I love is the ease of tweaking the campaigns... June we bought 3 houses from facebook...

Results from 2 campaigns

205 Leads (Form)
83,552 People
214,300 total
$21.58 Per Lead (Form)
$4,424.69 Total Spent

I still like mail and TV better

@Michael Quarles this is a super helpful reality check.  Help me understand a couple of the stats you post (thanks for this).  

83,552 is what, unique reach?  Number of unique folks that saw your ad?  And 214,300 is impressions?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you