Locating absentee owners and driving for dollars systems

16 Replies

Hello everyone!!! Any ninja tactics for locating absentee homeowners other than the local county tax assessors’ website? Also, does anyone have any good tech tips on systematizing, streamlining and organizing driving for dollars info?

I make it a point to talk to people in the neighborhood I’m targeting. I tell them what I do and that I pay a finder fee for info that leads to my purchasing a property. I found my last property this way!
I would also like to know how tech-savvy people organize their leads. I am still driving around with a pen and pad of paper, Lol.

@Jackie Botham thanks for the info.  Happy investing to you!

Guys, there’s some apps for this. Whether you have android or iPhone search driving for dollars and take a look at 3-4 apps that come up.

Jeromy, I'm doing the same thing: scouring the assessor website and driving the grid pattern. The website is certainly tedious. I'm assuming you are looking for folks who havnt applied for the homestead exemption? 

I like the idea of a finders fee. 

The sheriff's website for upcoming auction properties is another option - cross check w assessor website to get mailing address 

Im on my county tax assessor website and i not locate any neighborhoods or addresses. Is there something i am doing wrong? is there another way i can search my county?
to add on to my post is list source a liable search engine?
Originally posted by @Jeff Foulds :

Jeromy, I'm doing the same thing: scouring the assessor website and driving the grid pattern. The website is certainly tedious. I'm assuming you are looking for folks who havnt applied for the homestead exemption? 

I like the idea of a finders fee. 

The sheriff's website for upcoming auction properties is another option - cross check w assessor website to get mailing address 

Jeff, I’m not familiar with the homestead exemption, but will look into it.  I’ve located several abandoned homes in my area, but I’m having a hard time locating the owner’s name so I can contact them.  At one time our tax assessor’s website would list the owner’s name and partial address, but that isn’t the case anymore.

I do like the idea of a finders fee, and will hand out my business card to mailmen and parcel drivers.

I’ve looked into the sheriff’s website briefly without any luck, but will try it again.

Thanks for your advice Jeff, best of luck to you!

Originally posted by @David Lecko :

Guys, there’s some apps for this. Whether you have android or iPhone search driving for dollars and take a look at 3-4 apps that come up.

David, thanks for the suggestions.  I downloaded the driving for dollars app a while back, but have not really delved into to it yet.  Do you have any experience with it?  If so, how accurate have you found it to be?

Originally posted by @Matthew Izarek :
to add on to my post is list source a liable search engine?

Matthew, I’ve used list source a little and seems to be liable so far.  Many very experienced investors use list source and they swear by it, so it probably can add good value.

@Jeromy Boutte , what parish are you in? Speaking for Jefferson & Orleans parish (and I believe St. Tammany too) you can see relatively quickly who is claiming a homestead exemption or not on their property taxes from the assessor websites. You can only claim if you are owner-occupied and its enough $ where you wouldn't want to miss it if you could claim it.  Not all non-owner occupieds are absentee but it's a way of filtering.  At those same parish websites, though, you can see if the mailing address doesnt match the property address too, which also seems to indicate non-owner occupied.  

If you have the owner name and/or mailing address, you might be able to work-backyards thru google searches or a service like beenverified.com to get the other points of contact

@Jackie Botham , may I ask what you offer for a finder's fee? Ever consider a non-monetary item (cell phone, tablet, etc.)?

@David Lecko , thanks for pointing that app out.  I checked it out - looked good! I'm not ready to pay for that service yet, but might try in the future

I pay $500. On my last purchase, the local guy I got the seller’s info from was thrilled with it! I primarily invest in “C” and “C transitioning to B” neighborhoods so $500 is like a month’s pay to some people. I don’t have them sign an agreement or anything but I do make it clear that the deal has to close before I pay them. When I close on the house, I call them and get them their check. I now have a few locals on the lookout  for me.

@Jackie Botham , very cool - thank you. I was thinking about a tablet or cell phone as an idea, but ca$h is always good. 

@Jeff Foulds That’s a good idea, too! It depends on who it is and what would make it worth it to them. ‘Way to get creative!!!

@Jeff Foulds ... I’m in Iberia Parish, but work and D4$ in Lafayette Parish. Thanks for your knowledge and advice.

Jeromy, sometimes it’s a two step process to find the owner’s name on properties.  I’m not familiar with Iberia Parish’s websites, but what I used to do in Lafayette Parish was look up the property address on the assessor’s website.  That would give you the assessment number.  Then using the assessment number, go to the sheriffs tax collector website and lookup the property by that number and it gives you the name and mailing address of the property owner.

Sometimes this information is available by subscription.  Lafayette’s tax assessor used to sell a CD for $20 every year with the most current information including owner names, addresses and most recent sale prices before they came up with their website.

Realtors have access to detailed tax assessor information too.  If you are working with one, you might ask them if you don’t have any luck on your own?

A tool I use for D4$ is Evernote.  It has real good voice recognition and I can just touch the microphone and start dictating the property address or phone numbers for FSBOs and it transcribes it.  I can take a picture and save it all to a note for the property or multiple properties on a single note.  Its free, until you use it a whole lot.  I have the paid plan, because I do use it a whole lot - LOL!

@Robert Leonard ... Thank you for the great advice sir. I've been using the paid version of Evernote ever since you mentioned it in the BPAcadiana meet up a few months ago. I like your advice on the voice recognition feature and will definitely incorporate it in my D4$'s effort.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here