Personal "business" cards

11 Replies

Hello fellow BPers got a quick question for you. I am new to REI and have no properties but I have been networking and have some contacts. I'm looking to score some off market deals to wholesale and this question is related to having a business card. Now I don't have a business name or a business set up and no website as I don't think it's time to start branding yet. However I do want to have some kind of card to hand out to people I meet so they can contact me. Would it be okay to have a card that simply says "Need to sell your house fast for cash? I can help!" And then my name and number without having a company name or logo on it? Thoughts?

Originally posted by @Matthew Charron :

Hello fellow BPers got a quick question for you. I am new to REI and have no properties but I have been networking and have some contacts. I'm looking to score some off market deals to wholesale and this question is related to having a business card. Now I don't have a business name or a business set up and no website as I don't think it's time to start branding yet. However I do want to have some kind of card to hand out to people I meet so they can contact me. Would it be okay to have a card that simply says "Need to sell your house fast for cash? I can help!" And then my name and number without having a company name or logo on it? Thoughts?

Yes, that makes total sense. Lots of people do this. Also might be worth getting a CRM started for logging potential clients, existing clients, etc. I use Hubspot.com and love it. 

Filipe Pereira, Real Estate Agent in MA (#9557050) and CT (#0807610)
(860) 990-9103
@Matthew Charron How you present yourself to potential investors/buyers will make a difference when networking. If I were at a REI meet up and you either had no business card for your company or a website that I could look at, I'd most likely return your phone call or email after others I thought could bring me a successful deal faster. If you seem like you're already prepared to do business people will be more likely to engage at a deeper level which will be beneficial for you.

@Ray Johnson So lets say as a beginning investor trying to wholesale to generate some income for future purchases. Should I decide on a company name, design a website to explain what I do and capture leads, begin branding and have cards associated with that business as opposed to just having a simple card like I had mentioned above? Just trying to understand the best way to start putting myself out there to acquire some off market deals.

I would do it differently...personally for our clients we are all about first impressions. So if you hand out a card that might not look like you are a serious business, it is hard to change that perspective later down the road.

What I often find better, is to say “I don’t have any cards on me, but what is your cell number? And I’ll text you my info”

That way you not only give them your info....but they have yours as well and you can text them later for a follow up.

Just an idea, no way is the right way. : )

I apologize if this sounds condescending. It is not meant to be. This is just your obligatory cautionary reply. Please check with your local laws regarding wholesaling in your state. The last thing you want to do is make cards that would be evidence against you. Again, you may have no reason to be concerned. The following is a link to a very useful wholesaling article on bigger pockets.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2015/03/27/real-estate-wholesaling-illegal/

you may have already read it and be more familiar with this whole area than I am. This is not legal advice.

I appreciate the input. I don't plan on focusing primarily on wholesaling and it's not something I wanted to specifically state on the cards or website. It's more of a way to capture off market deals. I want to purchase rentals and eventually move to flipping but I figured wholesaling or partnering may be a way to start but generating the leads is going to be the biggest necessity. I want to convey the message that I am a cash buyer for distressed and motivated sellers in all situations offering them a solution.

@Matthew Charron , another not-meant-to-be-mean post. If you are truly a cash buyer, you can afford business cards. If you mean business, you'll have them on you at all times.

Make time to set up a web site and get business cards designed and printed. You can find a designer on Fivrr.com to create a quick but professional looking logo. 

Mindy Jensen, Real Estate Agent in CO (#FA100049656)

I had some great cards made on-line at Vistaprint.  Seriously better than a local shop which charged me 5 times more and took longer.  13.00 on Vistaprint and I love my "Sell your house fast for cash" cards.

@Mindy Jensen thank you for your response. I want to apologize if I am not making myself clear. Affording business cards isn't an issue and I would love to have them. However this is where I am and trying to find out the right way to start.

I am a new investor. I have zero properties, not even my own home. I do have a friend who wants to be a partner for rental properties who has all the capital to offer on the deal. I also met a local investor who offered to basically be a cash buyer and walk me through the wholesaling process in my area if I find off market deals.

In my search to connect with off market deals I need to know how to start properly. Do I make and register a business and then build a website and get business cards BEFORE I actually own property and income from it to pay the taxes and bills and etc associated with the business. Or if I DONT have a business because I don't own anything and I am trying to get started would simple business cards that say I am looking to buy houses with my name and number be sufficient to start generating leads until it is time to make the business.

I've read you don't need any kind of LLC when you first start. Also if I have a partnership with my friend for buy and hold properties wouldn't I need a separate entity for myself as well? Am I misunderstanding something? Thank you for your time and any help clarifying.

@Matthew Charron , thanks for the clarification.

I think having personal cards right now would be fine. Give the sellers a personal touch, maybe.

So many people feel that they need to set up an LLC before they do anything. I don't agree. But you have found a funding source, so you should at the very least start thinking about how you will split the profits or pay them back. You definitely want to hammer out the details before you borrow any money.

Grab a web name, connect with a developer who can quickly put up a nice looking site that says "I buy houses, cash." Print up cards with the same, and start handing them out. Vistaprint.com will do something like 500 cards for $10.

If you decide that the name isn't the direction you want to go, get a new name, redirect the old site to the new one, and print out another batch of $10 cards.

Mindy Jensen, Real Estate Agent in CO (#FA100049656)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.