Direct Mail: What are you doing with your Vacant mail backs?

11 Replies

Hey Guys!

I have recently ramped up my Direct mail campaign and I have been getting numerous mail backs due to vacancies.

I have tried using "that's them" and other free resources to track down these home owners, but I have had no luck. Either the phone number is disconnected or the email address is bogus and I have yet to find any of the owners.

I applied for TLO with no luck and now I am looking for another website or service that offers skip tracing at a competitive rate. Should I reach out to someone local for assistance or keep scraping the internet for a reliable company?

Any pointers would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

@Nicholas Armstrong

Here's all the ways you can try to locate owners

1) Ask neighbors - why? Cheapest and easy to do while you are D4D

2) Anywho or any free online service but these often have outdated info and low probability of success but still free

3) County tax assessor's office to see if they have the owner's address - takes time and not very accurate

4) Putting "Address Service Requested" and mailing to that address if they have a mailbox - cost of a letter and first class stamp

5) Skiptracing (costs money though) - $5-10 (findtheseller, privateeye, TLO, etc.)

6) Full stalker mode - "Drew out his entire family tree from Intelius" lol @ Lloyd Stanton, it worked for him but I've never done it

7) Stick a sign on their property saying you want to buy the home 

Permit imprint with ASR, if it comes back toss it, your chasing ghost. Think ROI, and brand building to your DM list.

It’s about building a brand they will trust when the time is right. I have people instructing their kids to sell their rentals to us when they pass away. That’s a powerful statement in terms of brand building.

When you need your HVAC serviced, you call the one you trust, the one that fills your local radio waves and mailboxes, they build brand trust, you should do the same.

@Nicholas Armstrong if you're mailing a decent list you should definitely skip trace the owners.  This will help you get more deals.    

It still amazes me how many guys drop thousands of dollars on mail each month and don't do anything with returned mail, or in some cases won't even pay first class postage so it can be returned.

I don't do any mail anymore, but if I did it would just be for the returned mail I would get back.  Glad to hear you're trying to do something.

If you'd like ideas on what to do just message me.  I can't tell you specifics in my reply or it'll get deleted for "self promotion".

@Ray Lai

Thanks for the tips my friend! Full stalker mode.. now that's a new one for me! Haha

@Ibrahim Hughes

The sales rep I spoke to asked me what I would be using the software for. I told him that I was an investor looking to find owners of vacant homes.

He told me that TLO was not used for that type of service. He explained that I could only use the software with people (or tenants) that have given me their information as apposed to me trying to hunt down their information from outside sources.

I was somewhat confused by this because there are many investors that recommend TLO.

Originally posted by @Levi T. :

Permit imprint with ASR, if it comes back toss it, your chasing ghost. Think ROI, and brand building to your DM list.

It’s about building a brand they will trust when the time is right. I have people instructing their kids to sell their rentals to us when they pass away. That’s a powerful statement in terms of brand building.

When you need your HVAC serviced, you call the one you trust, the one that fills your local radio waves and mailboxes, they build brand trust, you should do the same.

I'm not familiar with "Permit imprint with ASR" ? What exactly do you mean?

And yes I completely agree, Branding is everything.

@Larry Higgins

Thanks for the pointers!

I used Findtheseller.com for the first few.

No complaints just yet, very comprehensive info on subject. I did have to call about 20 numbers on the reports to find the actual owner or relative to the owner.

@Nicholas Armstrong no problem.  Owners associated with vacant houses and returned mail can be a little harder to find and get in touch with and many times it takes more than just calling numbers on a report.    But if there's true distress, it's very worthwhile and you'll find those are probably your better deals in general.

There are much more affordable options to findtheseller if you find you are doing a lot of skip tracing.  

@Nicholas Armstrong

How much are you paying for your skip-tracing? I know @Cornelius Garland 's company does it for hits only for $1.50 / lead which is solid.

I haven't used findtheseller but have read multiple posts about its inaccuracies in this forum.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here