Advice on how to use 30k equity to scale faster

2 Replies

I have been a landlord for 9 years now and I am looking to scale up faster because I am tired of cubicle land. My goal is to be full time investing in two years. I have a duplex that’s free and clear estimated  worth of 45k. I don’t have any money saved up for a dp and closing and planned on using the equity to fund the next property. How are some of you buying several deals within such a short time frame ? What advice would you give me given my current situation? I would’ve like to buy 3 -5 properties next year. Am I being too ambitious. I just feel that after 9 years I should be further along than what I am. Worried about being over leveraged. Waiting to save up the money for a dp would be at least a year and half. 

I'm not sure how the HELOC side of things work... but if you were to do a loan it's REALLY hard to get one below 50-55k. A lot of banks won't do them, but you might be able to get around that with a small local bank. But remeber you are only getting 70-80% of the value out plus you still have to pay closing costs etc (which might be a lot for such a low value property).

If you get around this with a HELOC let the funds season for few months in your acct then you can go out and get new property. I'd highly suggest talking to a loan officer before you do anything and make sure you can still get a funding for new property.

I did a HELOC with a small bank in TN on another property 2 years ago and paid interest only for a year but I wasn't educated enough about what I was doing. I ended up selling the property earlier this year and used the money to pay off debt. Big mistake in selling.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.