Cash out re-fi or new investment loan

3 Replies

Ive got shallow pockets currently, looking to make my first deal in the next six months.  I own my primary residence and have $200k of equity, maybe a little more.  I also have a $70k in liquid savings and the ability to obtain a conventional loan.  What strategy would you use to finance your deal.  Cash out re-fi on the primary residence + savings or just take a loan and put 20-25% down to make the deal. 

Pros and Cons of each method please.  

Thanks for your insight!

@Ken Vogel A conventional loan costs you at least 3% in closing costs. Forget that! Look at the Line of Credit against either property. Costs are less, more flexible terms. The line is put against the house just like a 2nd, so no difference there. Only pay for what you use and put it back. TD Bank has a pretty cool program, $99 origination fee, $50 annual fee, 75% LTV, 4.49%. There are lots of LOC options for a primary residence.

Once you get the new property, get a note on it and put the funds back into the LOC. You can get Buy-Fix-Flip or Buy-Fix-Rent terms easily, with 640+ credit out there. No reason to put your savings at risk. Best of luck to you.

@Jack Bobeck Thanks for the reply.  Can you clarify what you mean when you say, "Once you get the new property, get a note on it"  

Are you saying re-finance it?

Thanks again  

Originally posted by @Ken Vogel:

@Jack Thanks for the reply.  Can you clarify what you mean when you say, "Once you get the new property, get a note on it"  

Are you saying re-finance it with a traditional fixed rate loan or are you illuding to something else?

Thanks again  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.