Taking a Poll on Advertising on Craigslist

7 Replies

Hello BP! 

I'm taking a poll to see how many investors use Craigslist for marketing your properties/units online. I just have three questions below:

Do you primarily use Craigslist to market your properties?
Do you believe your Craigslist ads are the most effective ways to advertise?
Would you be willing to pay to outsource the task of advertising on Craigslist if you could?

Thank you in advance to all those who reply! 

-Casey

Hi @Casey Blakely , I am assuming you mean advertising properties for rent, right?

Yes, I use Craigslist almost entirely, with a bit of Zillow as well.

Yes, Craigslist has definitely been the most effective way to advertise in my market (in my experience)

No, I wouldn't outsource my Craigslist advertising, but I don't have a lot of units - I save a template with the pics and description for each property so it is very quick to list each one

I hope that helps!

Hi @Jen Harwood ! I appreciate the feedback. This helps me get a better idea of what most investors go with.

Thanks again!

Hi @Casey Blakely

Craigslist is, unfortunately, the main player in the free online advertising field. They are the most effective because most people look there first. 

For some of us, depending on your real estate focus, there are many challenges with CL. We often have issues with ghosting, flagging, deletion - it's competitive out there. It's up to all of us to shift the balance and empower other channels which in turn would benefit all of us. That said, we use a few other lists as well, such as BackPages, HotPads, Hoobly, ClassifiedAds. We also use Facebook.

We outsource this work since the volume and redundancy become insane at some point. In order to focus on growing your business, you will need to leverage your time at some point.

Go gettem'! ;-)

I've used CL successfully in the past and also Zillow more recently. This last turnover was rented using Facebook marketplace. I got a lot of interest and finally settled on someone from that source. An added bonus is you can view their profile.

We have 5 units and use craigslist and zillow.  I think that craigslist results in the vast majority of responses.

Thank you all for your responses! This has all been a great help for sure!

I've been posting on behalf of a landlord on Craigslist, but the listings kept getting flagged for removal. The properties are all in different states, and I guess CL doesn't allow a single IP address or email address to list across multiple markets? 

I want to continue to use CL, but it hasn't been very user-friendly since the postings keep getting removed. Sounds like other people have run into that as well. It's a shame, since it seems like renters use CL the most.

The answers are: 

Yes, I use CL exclusively for 'for rent' ads. Well, that and yard / bandit signs.

Yes. I have tried apartments.com and facebook, even a few others. All the responses I got were from CL.

Not at this point. I'm still doing my own management, and I like to make first contact with potential renters. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.