Direct Mail Marketing

13 Replies

Hello all! I am brand spanking new to the Wholesale Investor "thing" and I would like to know if anyone can offer any advice on what my direct marketing letter should include. What wording works? Thanks for any advice!

It’s not so much what you say as to whom you say it to. Are you targeting distress sellers w houses that need work. Sell as is no repairs make it simple quick and easy for your audience. People that may work with you don’t want to sell the traditional way or can’t.

Reach out to the Direct mail companies they have templates take a look see what might work for you. Make changes as needed. I use resimpli. They advertise here. Reach out to them. Their prices include first class mailings That’s important you want the returned mail. That’s an excellent lead possibility if worked right Get s skip tracer to run research on your returned mail go the extra mile that’s where the gold

Keyword direct mail here at BP and skip tracing you will get alerts. Also keyword your city. I did in June learned something utilized it and in September wholesale a house due to that one post.

Listen to podcasts on direct mail marketing and or wholesaling. I am partial to flipping junkie but I listen to others as well. Find episode 46 it’s on Direct mail. Excellent it’s Very inspiring to here guys having massive success w direct mail. It works if done right.

210-573-3560
@Billye Bridges Put a personal touch on your mailers. I have found that you get a little better response when the mailer isn't the same as everyone else's. Some may oppose this but we put our picture on the mailer as well. Make sure the print isn't too small and gets the point across. We took wording from about 10 different mailers and then created our own. Keep at the mailers when you start, they're not a short term play. We do a campaign and keep at it for about 5 to 6 touches after that we move on. Hope that helps.

@Joe Davalos Thanks for the shoutout!!

@Billye Bridges - Welcome to BP Billye! Can send you free templates if you want and other helpful information. A lot of people start direct mail without a game plan and it lowers their response rates and conversion rates. Can also hook you up with a checklist of things you should think about and prepare before you start, and scripts on how to talk to a seller if you want.

I use Jerry Puckett for direct mail. Research him on BP.

(469) 795-7535

Hey @Billye Bridges I always recommend starting off with short and sweet mailers. If you are hitting the prospect multiple times build up from there. Each time you mail a prospect provide more information, so that they can become familiar with you and pick up their phone to call :) 

If you want to talk more about direct mail feel free to reach out! 

Cheers!

I just send a brief letter. Hand write the envelope though as this gets people to open it. Time consuming but you can pay someone to write the recipients name on the envelope if you don't have the time. My sister did mine for $8/hr. You would be surprised how many you can fill out in an hour. Best $8 I ever spent on marketing. I'm  sure her hand was sore!

What are some strategies for identifying your property prospects?  Other than driving for dollars and word of mouth?  Are there data services that provide targeted leads?

Good luck @Billye Bridges . Just pulled the trigger with the first direct mailer thru Resimpli as well. Both Ray and his team are good to go and very helpful. We’ll see how it goes!

504-556-2157

One suggestion regarding wording is provide more detail than competitors.

Thing is, depending on your targeting, you either need to be very creative or stand out. If you're just buying a list and sending generic materials, most likely it will be thrown away or not noticed.

Like all marketing, you need to be known. The prospect needs to notice you - that's first and foremost. There's ways to do that, such as a real hand-writing envelope.

@Michael

@Michael Knaus I called vendors for hand written envelopes, it was going to be $2.25 per actual hand-written (not even including hand-written signature on letter, real stamp, adding business card. I built a small team to get it done for $1.14 per letter. I'd like to hire your sister for $8/hour! (I'm kidding, but that's an awesome rate) for physical labor. Given the level of customization, I was happy to get the $1.14 with the regular postage stamp - about $1.10 less than vendor - but I don't think I beat $8.00/hour!

@Lucas Machado She has since moved on to other employment :(  I had her working as my receptionist and office assistant. When the phones weren't ringing, she was writing! 

Wow, thank you everyone for your responses. There is something in each response that is extremely helpful. Finishing up my mailers today and getting them out so we'll see how it goes!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.