Property with tax lien/ water lien and owners died.

5 Replies

There is a vacant property where both owners are deceased and the family is not interested. The family lives around the corner from the property, they neglect the property and refuse to talk to me. I've given my business card to the neighbor (a friend of mine) and I know for sure the family received  got my contact info. Can I go down to the revenue department and pay the taxes before it goes up for sheriff sale? Even if I do not have the deed?  Is there another way to go about owning this property without putting it under an 'agreement for sale' contract? 

Even owning the default tax liens doesn't automatically give you the ability to purchase the home.  Those go for several years, and then, if not redeemed, they are given the ability to foreclose.  But even at the foreclosure, someone could bid on the property and outbid you.

No. You cannot just pay the taxes and get a tax lien or tax deed it must go through an auction first. In some areas properties that go up for tax auction can be bought after the auction at tax value if the property did not sell at the auction. I do not know if that is the case in PA or specifically Philly. 

Another way is to see if there area any other debts against the property. Since the owner is dead you may be able to buy the debt and foreclose.

A more radical way is just take it over and after a period of time you may be able to claim "adverse possession".  That would take 20 years in MD!  However it might get the family to talk to you.

Wait until the family that lives around the corner start the probate proceedings. Right now it's just an opportunity..

Mark Pedroza, Real Estate Agent in CA (#01858403)
1-415-786-6700

Thank you all for your prompt replies!! I value your feedback. Does any know where I can get funding to flip properties without all of the red-tape? I have been researching a few companies,but some do them seems like a scam. 

@Nicole yes, the house will need to be probated but if family doesn't want it, then auction will take place. There are a couple of other things you can try. PM me. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.