Indianapolis Market Analysis

2 Replies

Hello, everyone.

In my previous post I asked how to analyze markets. Some people advised me look into Indianapolis, so I did research on it. What throws me off is that it says that city is experiencing slowest population growth over the last 3 decades. Also, crime date is higher than national average. So I am a bit confused. Am I missing something here? Other than that, Indianapolis seems good to me. Is there anything else in particular I should pay attention to besides stuff like income, job growth, population growth? Also, any thoughts on Fort Wayne? Seems better place to invest than Indianapolis. Thank you.

This post has been removed.

@Account Closed You can't analyze an entire city based on crime rates. Indianapolis is the 15th largest city in the U.S. with a population of 850,000 and nearly 400 sq miles. Like any major city, it has it's high crime areas and it's low crime areas. You have to know which areas are good and which to avoid. You have to put population growth in context. Between 2010 and 2016, Indianapolis' population has paralleled that of the U.S. overall at 4.2% growth. Between 2000 and 2010, Indianapolis underwent a population explosion so it's natural to see the rate of increase slow down. If you compare Indy's population growth with that of other popular cash flow markets, you'll see it stacks up very well---Memphis .1%, Cleveland -2.7%, Chicago .3% Birmingham .8%. Other than Kansas City, you'll be hard pressed to find a market that cash flows well and has strong economic and demographic trends like Indy.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.