Rental property without stove/oven?

4 Replies

I am looking to purchase my first property and have been looking at turnkey companies in Ohio and have noticed that a lot of the houses appear to not have a stove/oven or even microwave. I have only noticed this in Ohio properties. Is this common in Ohio? Would anyone really rent a home where you can't cook anything?

I wouldn’t pay turnkey prices.

Yes, you must put a stove in any house you rent.

Good luck.

Matt C., KRZ Homes LLC | [email protected] | 440‑701‑6570

I am not aware of any Ohio law that mandates that the landlord provide a stove or refrigerator.

I provide both of these for all my Ohio properties. These Ohio properties are in good areas (B and A class. That is all I have in Ohio.) When I look at rentals comps in my area of Ohio, I am yet to see any listing that expects the tenant to bring any appliances beyond washer and dryer.

However, I do not provide kitchen appliances in Memphis, for example. That’s in C areas of Memphis only. My B/A Memphis properties, on the other hand, do come with stoves and refrigerators. I’ve heard it said that Memphis tenants are used to moving with their own kitchen appliances. I have not heard this about any part of Ohio. But this does not mean that in some parts of Ohio it may not be typical.

So, this begs the question: are your intended Ohio turnkeys in good areas? Are these areas where tenants expect to have certain appliances provided by the landlord? You can look on Zillow for rental comps to get an answer on this.

Even if it is typical for landlords not to provide kitchen appliances where you are buying “turnkey” in Ohio, I’d bet that these are not even B class properties. I would strongly advise against buying anything less than a B for your first investment.

And I presume that you already know that not all “turnkey” are created equal. Some should be ashamed of what they call “fully-rehabbed.”

Originally posted by @Eric Haug :
I am looking to purchase my first property and have been looking at turnkey companies in Ohio and have noticed that a lot of the houses appear to not have a stove/oven or even microwave.

I have only noticed this in Ohio properties. Is this common in Ohio? Would anyone really rent a home where you can't cook anything?

The tenants still cook, they just have to bring in their own appliances. 

My company has rented to 1,000's of tenants. We provide appliances for apartment buildings but you single family houses & duplexes the tenants must provide their own.

Trying to maintain appliances is such a profit killer so it's very nice that the market has spoken & that's not something we need to do here in Ohio.

Medium holton wise property group logo jpegJames Wise, The Holton Wise Property Group | [email protected] | 216‑661‑6633 | http://www.HoltonWisePropertyGroup.com | OH Agent # 2015001161 | Podcast Guest on Show #127

Originally posted by @Eric Haug :
I am looking to purchase my first property and have been looking at turnkey companies in Ohio and have noticed that a lot of the houses appear to not have a stove/oven or even microwave.

I have only noticed this in Ohio properties. Is this common in Ohio? Would anyone really rent a home where you can't cook anything?

Then that is NOT a Turnkey. The idea of a Turnkey is that the company will own, renovate, and manage the property all in house! After closing, it should be cash flowing. The idea of asking a tenant to provide the basics is not going to fly. If someone is renting they do not often have a stove just sitting around ready to go. 

I would say this is NOT common for professional companies to have in Ohio. That sounds like something you would find on Craigslist being rented out by a small-time landlord who only has one property. Maybe it is just the company you are dealing with. The more tenants have to worry about when it comes to the move-in the less likely they will be to pick your property over the one down the street without a stove! 

Medium smartland logo biggerpockets1Tom Ott, Smartland | [email protected] | 440‑749‑4043 | http://www.Smartland.com | OH Agent # 2016003865

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you