Rental property without stove/oven?

12 Replies

I am looking to purchase my first property and have been looking at turnkey companies in Ohio and have noticed that a lot of the houses appear to not have a stove/oven or even microwave. I have only noticed this in Ohio properties. Is this common in Ohio? Would anyone really rent a home where you can't cook anything?

I wouldn’t pay turnkey prices.

Yes, you must put a stove in any house you rent.

Good luck.

I am not aware of any Ohio law that mandates that the landlord provide a stove or refrigerator.

I provide both of these for all my Ohio properties. These Ohio properties are in good areas (B and A class. That is all I have in Ohio.) When I look at rentals comps in my area of Ohio, I am yet to see any listing that expects the tenant to bring any appliances beyond washer and dryer.

However, I do not provide kitchen appliances in Memphis, for example. That’s in C areas of Memphis only. My B/A Memphis properties, on the other hand, do come with stoves and refrigerators. I’ve heard it said that Memphis tenants are used to moving with their own kitchen appliances. I have not heard this about any part of Ohio. But this does not mean that in some parts of Ohio it may not be typical.

So, this begs the question: are your intended Ohio turnkeys in good areas? Are these areas where tenants expect to have certain appliances provided by the landlord? You can look on Zillow for rental comps to get an answer on this.

Even if it is typical for landlords not to provide kitchen appliances where you are buying “turnkey” in Ohio, I’d bet that these are not even B class properties. I would strongly advise against buying anything less than a B for your first investment.

And I presume that you already know that not all “turnkey” are created equal. Some should be ashamed of what they call “fully-rehabbed.”

Originally posted by @Eric Haug :
I am looking to purchase my first property and have been looking at turnkey companies in Ohio and have noticed that a lot of the houses appear to not have a stove/oven or even microwave.

I have only noticed this in Ohio properties. Is this common in Ohio? Would anyone really rent a home where you can't cook anything?

The tenants still cook, they just have to bring in their own appliances. 

My company has rented to 1,000's of tenants. We provide appliances for apartment buildings but you single family houses & duplexes the tenants must provide their own.

Trying to maintain appliances is such a profit killer so it's very nice that the market has spoken & that's not something we need to do here in Ohio.

Originally posted by @Eric Haug :
I am looking to purchase my first property and have been looking at turnkey companies in Ohio and have noticed that a lot of the houses appear to not have a stove/oven or even microwave.

I have only noticed this in Ohio properties. Is this common in Ohio? Would anyone really rent a home where you can't cook anything?

Then that is NOT a Turnkey. The idea of a Turnkey is that the company will own, renovate, and manage the property all in house! After closing, it should be cash flowing. The idea of asking a tenant to provide the basics is not going to fly. If someone is renting they do not often have a stove just sitting around ready to go. 

I would say this is NOT common for professional companies to have in Ohio. That sounds like something you would find on Craigslist being rented out by a small-time landlord who only has one property. Maybe it is just the company you are dealing with. The more tenants have to worry about when it comes to the move-in the less likely they will be to pick your property over the one down the street without a stove! 

I’m interested in purchasing a property in Ohio. What areas would be considered B class? Anyway to find foreclosures in those areas?

@Eric Haug
Eric
There is no yard and fast rule in the Cleveland market regarding appliances. Some tenants have their own... but most prefer to have landlord provide appliances.
CMHA (section 8) will pay less on the owner contract if appliances are not provided.... interesting that two of our largest PMs... one says always... the other says never... each works for their business model.
I have seen some leases that state, “we provide appliances AsIs, but if they break, repair is responsibility of tenant” I am ok with this, except not for gas stove.

like pretty much everything with rentals, the answer is always “it depends”. If you’re in an A area then yes, appliances will be expected. Anywhere else, some have their own and then you’ve got to remove yours from the property. Pain in the a$$ and where do you store tons of units worth of appliances? Additionally, outside of A and B areas, tenants abuse the heck out of your stuff, so that’s why we don’t provide them in C and B areas. Someone can go to sears outlet or craigslist and get what they need for very little money. They will take better care of something they ave brought with them. 

Depends on where you are at. In Alameda County and Contra Costa County I have Section 8 rentals in the San Francisco Bay Area and Section8 REQUIRES you to provide stove and refrigerator.  For my Section 8 Rental in Cleveland I was told by CMHA it is strongly enouraged if you want more rent from us.

Hey @Eric Haug I would tell you that it completely depends on the rental property itself and the location you are renting in. I have had this conversation with 100's of landlords and it is never unanimous. While I was a leasing agent covering all of the west side of Cleveland I found that a lot of tenants do in fact own their own appliances. They do not want to get nasty appliance from 6 prior tenants that never cleaned it or took care of it. Most landlords are not profitable enough to offer new appliances after each vacancy. If you happen to have an eviction the tenants will most likely be stealing them and scraping them. If you own a multi unit an only provide one set of washer and dryer tenants will fight over it. Tenants will also let family and friends over to wash their clothes. This has been my experience in Cleveland over the last 5 years. If you are buying B area or nicer then I may supply them but I would try to rent it out without them first.

Originally posted by @Naeem Boucher :

I’m interested in purchasing a property in Ohio. What areas would be considered B class? Anyway to find foreclosures in those areas?

Ohio is a pretty large state so you'll need to let us know what part of Ohio you are looking into. If that happens to be the Cleveland market just give The Ultimate Guide to Grading Cleveland Neighborhoods that'll answer that question for you. If it's another part of Ohio I don't have any data as this is the only market that I operate in.

As for finding foreclosures you can simply hire an agent to put you on an MLS drip in the market you want to target.

Stove cost $100 in a used appliance store

Thank you for this response!

Originally posted by @James Wise :
Originally posted by @Naeem Boucher:

Ohio is a pretty large state so you'll need to let us know what part of Ohio you are looking into. If that happens to be the Cleveland market just give The Ultimate Guide to Grading Cleveland Neighborhoods that'll answer that question for you. If it's another part of Ohio I don't have any data as this is the only market that I operate in.

As for finding foreclosures you can simply hire an agent to put you on an MLS drip in the market you want to target.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here