Looking for leads of those who have passed by not using probate

5 Replies

We are looking for leads of those who have passed, who have property but don't go through probate court. Anybody have these leads we can purchase or how do you find them for Nashville, TN?

That's a bit of a tough one because those who have passed and avoid probate court, means s/he had a will/trust and a plan for the properties they owned. 

Going through the local newspaper for obituaries and estate sales always feels like being a vulture, and I make it a point to avoid bad karma. I would probably network with will/trust attorneys in area, I'd likely start with getting my own will/trust and asking him/her questions of how do I avoid probate court if something were to happen to me?

@Amber Stancer You can purchase probate lists. It's a very competitive list as there are many people that are pursuing that same avenue. 

Out of curiosity why wouldn't you want to go through probate? You can literally sign up for a subscription and access the records from home.

I would check in listsource and see. If I remember correctly there is an option to get a list of owners who had wills who transferred their properties to their spouses and or children. Additionally, you can search for $0 property sales. 9 times out of 10 they are transfers from a descended parent.

We do go through probate records to find properties. I wanted to find properties of those who don't go through probate. I have done a couple deals that way and I want to find more. 

@Amber Stancer - I think you are looking to find properties that have been moved into Trusts. if your local County's website allows it do a search for "irrevocable", "revocable", or "Trust" in the owner's name field to find those properties. Otherwise, network with elder law attorneys. Best of luck.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here