How do I get rid of the fear of calling people.

8 Replies

I know that in this business talking on the phone is a must. However, I struggle and hate it. I have missed opportunities just because I feared calling. What is something I can do to help me with this phobia of calling. 

Thank you for your guys' help!!!

This likely won't help but I spoke for 45 minutes on the phone with a syndicator two days ago who has a speech impediment.  He's out connecting, calling, and raising money.  Tremendous courage.

I run across this in my W-2 job with a lot of New Hires. There's preconceived notion that something can go very wrong, but in reality the worst anyone can really say is 'no'. We have a specific module in our training that discusses these notions. We then watch this quick clip: https://youtu.be/ZmMFIganRQY Hope it provides some help.

This post has been removed.

Just know that everyone is the same who you are talking to and you are helping them. I used to have trouble at cold-calling too and then I see everyone as the same and that I'm helping to save them from whatever and there is never anything to lose but my time. Just realize and think how awesome you are, you are the baddest "M.F.er" out there lol. just know that. If I'm slingin' debt, I'm helping save their deal. If I'm needing their service, I'm paying their check. I just try and look at things like that. At my height of dialing for dollars, it was like 45 calls a day to CFOs, CEOs, gatekeepers, etc. Worked out. I also do a lot of meditations and practiced pitching ideas  to the smartest people I knew. I also play 528Hz and diff tones in the background very low to relax and I like to sit outside and get in a zone to focus well. 

Pick up the phone and call a random number, when someone answers simply tell them, opps sorry I called the wrong number. Once you do this, take a moment, take breath and realize YOU'RE STILL ALIVE! You made it, nothing bad happened, the world didn't end, no heart attack, YOU MADE IT OUT ALIVE.

Then let's take it up a notch, call a random number and ask for some random name/person. Short convo, explain wrong number, you made it out alive again. Now this time take a bit longer, take some serious time to realize you just talked to some complete stranger and not a single bad thing happened. Maybe it was a fluke, try it again and again.... it's not nothing bad happens, it's just talking to people.

Now.... write down your thoughts, have a script if you need it, practice it but more importantly own it. Believe in what you're saying what you're talking about, know it and if you don't have the confidence that you are the EXPERT in whatever it is your talking about. Now.... call that person and have that convo. It's no different than the wrong numbers you called, you're just as confident about what your going to talk about as you were when you told the random person you had the wrong number....

For the record, hate talking to people to...but have to do it all day long lol.

@Juan Rubio   Preparation and practice!

In no particular order

1.  Have a set number of calls that you are committed to making each day.  A daily goal will help you remain accountable and give you a lot of practice to refine your skills.

2. Keep a sales journal.  Make a list of all of the objections that you are receiving.  Write down the objections, write responses to these objections.  The better prepared you are to overcome an objection, the more confident you will be on the phone.

3.  Know your value inside and out!  Be able to clearly communicate what you are trying to do and why they should want to do it with you, also known as a value proposition. (Practice your value proposition a lot.  The more you practice the more articulate and confident you will be on the phone)

4.  Sales is a numbers game - Lots of stats out there but something in the range of 7-12 sales attempts before a deal starts to take off.  Be professional and persistent. A lot of your competition will quit after the 1st or 2nd "no"

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here