Postcards Vs. Yellow Letters

10 Replies

I'd like to know some BP'ers advice and success stories on postcards vs. yellow letters. I am making my first postcards order with reSimpli and @Ray Lai has been very helpful and supportive. Any feedback is appreciated. 

It depends on your market and brand. Where are you looking for wholesale deals? 

Kevin - I like postcards myself, and I have found they work better in my opinion.  You will get a lot of calls with yellow letters, but they won't necessarily be from motivated sellers.  

The only way to know for sure is to test.  You need at least a 6 month test, so it takes a while.  You can split your list evenly in half and mail one half a letter and one half a postcard if you would rather do that.

Hi @Kevin Powell

This is what I did for my own mailing. I sent out Postcards for the 1st mailing. As @Sharon Vornholt said your response rate will be a bit lower with postcards but you will have more motivated callers. Sending yellow letters will get you higher response rate but a lot of those callers will not be as motivated.

I did a campaign last month and my response rate with postcards was around 1.4% and I sent letters to the same list and so far my response rate has been close to 2%. 

And with postcards I was able to get a property under contract.

Another benefit of sending via postcards is that it is cheaper to send out so you can get returned postcards back and do skip-tracing on those records and take them off the future mailing.

At the end of the day it's more important that you consistently send to a list of motivated sellers than what marketing piece you send them

You can have the best marketing piece in the world but if you send to millionaires who bought their mansions in last few months, no matter how good your marketing piece it, you will not get a decent deal out of it. Now on the other hand if you send to list of highly motivated sellers (absentee owners, probate, etc), it's more important that you consistently and timely send them something than the exact marketing piece.

Hope this helps.

@Michael Kirkwood peep! And @Sharad M. wow this was very golden and informative thanks Sharad! Did you mean in the last sentence, something “different” than the exact marketing piece?

Originally posted by @Kevin Powell :

@Michael Kirkwood peep! And @Sharad M. wow this was very golden and informative thanks Sharad! Did you mean in the last sentence, something “different” than the exact marketing piece?

Hi Kevin,

What I meant was that the marketing piece you send is not as important (assuming it has basic information about you and clear call to action for sellers) as persistently sending to a list of highly motivated sellers over and over again.

@Sharad M. what’s some of your favorite go to data sources that you’ve see seen best results from?

This post has been removed.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here